Who should attend
Managers and professionals with financial or operational responsibility of hotel real estate, investments, financing, or asset management including asset managers and portfolio managers. Professionals working for or aspiring to work for real estate funds, REITs, real estate developers, real estate advisory firms, and others affiliated with the creation and use of real estate as a financial asset, focused on hotel real estate investment projects.
About the course
Investing in hotel real estate is a complicated and rewarding endeavor. To be successful, hotel investors must be able to determine the financial interests of those involved in any project.
In this course, Professor deRoos demonstrates several analytical tools used by real estate professionals to evaluate hotel investments. You will explore how owners, operators, and lenders evaluate potential hotel projects. Using an Excel-based tool, you will estimate the return on investment and return on equity for a hotel investment. Debt and equity financing are critical to every project and in this course, you will learn how to estimate the size of a mortgage loan given the lender's requirements. With real-world examples, practical tools, and opportunities to practice, you will develop the skills necessary to structure your own hotel real estate investments.
Participants who complete this course will be able to...
- Explore the varied motivations of owners, operators, and lenders in pursuing real estate investments
- Examine the different investment approaches taken by owners in the hotel industry
- Estimate the return on investment and the return on equity for a prospective hotel investment
- Estimate the value of a proposed hotel using a variety of methods
- Analyze and evaluate investment projects from the perspective of owners, operators, and lenders
- Size a mortgage that meets the needs of different partners
- Make informed decisions about the relative attractiveness of hotel investments
Jan A. deRoos is the HVS Professor of Hotel Finance and Real Estate at the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business. He has devoted his career to teaching and research related to hospitality real estate, with a focus on the valuation, financing, development, and control of lodging, timeshare, and r...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Analytics
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.