Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
- Professionals and emerging managers with P&L responsibilities
- Those moving into financial management roles
- Those wishing to refresh their financial acumen
- You have experienced success and promotion in your career, but need to better understand the language of finance and accounting to progress further.
The programme will be of particular appeal if you enjoy learning using practical examples that you can immediately relate to your own business experience.
About the course
As a manager, it is essential that you use the language of finance and accounting effectively.
A good grasp of key finance and accounting concepts is also often seen by employers as essential for career progression.
Using lectures, worked examples, and class discussions drawn from real-life business experiences, this programme demystifies the language of finance and accounting for managers with very little or no prior knowledge of the subjects.
The programme gives you a thorough, fundamental overview of finance and financial accounting, which you need to manage and discuss budgets, financial reports and different performance indicators.
- Interpreting company accounts and financial disclosures
- Use accounting for management decisions
- Activity-based costing, cost allocation
- Performance measures
- Budgeting and forecasting
- Perform project and investment appraisals using discounted cash-flows, internal rate of return (IRR) and net present value (NPV) techniques
- Capital structure: understanding financial strategies to achieve the optimal financing mix
- Foundations of business valuation
- Sustainable growth versus acquisitions-based growth
- Executive compensation, corporate governance and value creation
- Value-based management
- Learn to communicate more effectively with colleagues, senior management and other stakeholders using finance and accounting terms
- Understand how annual reports and financial information are used to make better business decisions
- Learn how to interpret a company's profitability, solvency and liquidity
- Understand the economics of corporate investment decisions
- Understand the metrics used to assess performance and decision making
- Explore alternative business valuation principles and understand how you can impact the value drivers of your organisation.
University Lecturer in Accounting BBA (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor), MBA (University of California, Berkeley), PhD (University of California, Berkeley) Research interests Stock markets and financial information: earnings quality, capital market reactions to accounting information, sell-s...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.