Who should attend
This course is designed for federal employees involved with processing or certifying temporary duty (TDY) travel orders, claims for per diem travel, transportation allowances, and certain other allowances for civilian employees in the federal government (see course overview for listing of applicable agencies). It is highly recommended for all approving officers, reviewing officials, supervisors, and anyone who travels two or more times on TDY in one year.
About the course
Participants will learn from expert instructors, the current rules and regulations for temporary duty (TDY) travel for civilian employees in the 14 Executive Departments, over 100 Executive Agencies, boards, commissions, and the GAO. The rules for and use of the transportation expenses, Per Diem, travel authorization requirements, emergency and personal expenses, actual expense allowances for high cost areas, the forensic review of travel receipts and more will be addressed. This workshop includes case studies, scenarios and exercises for a highly-interactive learning experience.
- Determine the appropriate classification of travel and source of travel guidance for a given situation
- Apply the appropriate per diem rate to your travel scenario
- Make informed and appropriate choices for travel arrangements
- Identify what is required of travelers and agency accountable officials, and apply the authorization process to simple scenarios
Governing Criteria and Oversight Bodies
- Travel Determinations
- Federal Travel Guidance
- Geographical Considerations
- Calculating Per Diem
- Per Diem Considerations
Allowable Travel Expenses
- Travel Arrangements
- Allowable Travel Expenses
- Adding Personal Leave or Other Travel to Official Travel
- Locations and Facilities for Conference and Training
- Reporting Expenses
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.