Who should attend
Recipient, pass-through, and Federal personnel interested in how legal issues affect Federal grants administration will benefit from this course.
About the course
Federal funders and recipients need to understand the myriad statutory authorities, regulations, and agency rules that impact how grant funds are administered. You will develop an in-depth understanding of the laws surrounding grants by analyzing actual court cases and appeals board decisions. Through numerous exercises and discussions, you will gain a holistic perspective of the Federal assistance process and the relevant laws and regulations. This is an elective course in all tracks of the GMCP™.
- Explore the legal basis for awarding grants and cooperative agreements.
- Consider the legal differences between grants and contracts
- Discuss how statutes, regulations, and judicial decisions impact everyday grant and cooperative agreement administration
- Analyze federal court and agency appeals board cases focusing on issues such as protections under the Privacy Act, rights under the Freedom of Information Act, and interpretations of statutory requirements by awarding agencies
- Identify penalties that may be imposed on recipients that fail to comply with federal requirements
Introduction to the American Legal System
- Roots of the American Legal System
- Types of Law
- America's Dual Court System
- Judicial Review
Legal Authority for Providing Assistance
- The Constitutional Power of the Purse
- Federalism, Speech, and Religion
- The Role of Federal Agencies
- The Legal Status of Grants
- State Laws and Regulations
The Federal Assistance Process
- Milestones in the Development of Modern Grants
- Types of Assistance and Related Agreements
- The Funding Process
- Executive and Agency Rules
Administering Federal Awards
- Authorities That Govern Grant Agreements
- Funds in the Hands of the Recipient
Enforcement, Remedies, and Appeals
- Enforcement of Grant Agreements and Legal Remedies
- Avenues for Recipient Appeal and Adverse Agency Decisions
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.