Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
- Current family and non-family board directors, trustees and chairs of family-controlled firms
- Family members developing themselves for future roles as board members in their enterprise
- Family and non-family executives who interact with or who will soon be appointed to the board
About the course
Navigating unique governance challenges
The director plays a pivotal role in effectively guiding family owned businesses. This program from leading family business experts goes in-depth on the issues that affect current and emerging board members, such as managing the board’s strategic, fiduciary and communication functions.
Through interactive lectures with leading Kellogg faculty, in-depth case studies and panels with experienced family and independent directors, participants will emerge with a well-rounded skill set to effectively manage the essential functions of aligning the board’s work with the values and long-term growth of family-owned businesses.
- Define the role of the Board in understanding family business strategy
- Explore the differences in Board decisions for a family enterprise
- Understand the unique challenges of selecting family for Board roles
- Learn to effectively link the Board with the family
- Role of the Board in understanding family business strategy
- What is different about a Board decision for a family enterprise
- Selecting family for Board roles
- Linking the Board with the family
- Board room etiquette and effectiveness
- Different models of the Board’s role in governance
- Board best practices in family enterprises
Ed Zajac joined the faculty of the Kellogg School of Management after completing his Ph.D. in organization and strategy at the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania. At Kellogg, he received the James F. Bere Chair and the Sidney J. Levy Teaching Award. He was a Fulbright Scholar at the Unive...
Professor Ivan Lansberg is an organizational psychologist in New Haven, Connecticut. He is co-founder and a senior partner of Lansberg, Gersick & Associates LLC, a research and consulting firm specializing in family enterprise and family philanthropy. Ivan was a professor of organizational be...
Jose Maria Liberti is Clinical Professor of Finance at Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University and William M. Scholl Professor of Finance at Kellstadt Graduate School of Business, DePaul University. He is also a research fellow of the European Banking Center. He also holds an affili...
Jennifer M. Pendergast Ph.D is the inaugural John L. Ward Clinical Professor of Family Enterprise and Faculty Director, Center for Family Enterprises (KCFE) at Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University. In this capacity, Jennifer guides the market leading executive education and MBA p...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.