Who should attend
- Professionals working in an asset management company − e.g. fund and portfolio managers, buy and sell side analysts, compliance, legal and risk officers, fund sales and institutional mandate sales, managers, economists and product managers.
- Private bankers at the front office level, (i.e. working with private clients and/or managing private portfolios)
- Senior executives and non-executive board members of parent companies of asset management companies
- Family offices
- Investment consultants and consulting actuaries
- Audit firms
- Institutional actors e.g. corporate, public and sector pension funds, insurance companies, universities, foundations, etc.
- Financial journalists
- Law firms specialising in asset management related affairs
- Professionals working for the controlling authorities (e.g. FSMA, NBB)
About the course
The ‘Executive Programme on Asset Management’ provides practical insights and a holistic picture of the front-end of professional (financial) asset management. Through this programme, participants go beyond the financial theory and receive a helicopter view on how asset management works in practice. These insights are delivered by a mix of Vlerick faculty and business experts from our partner institutions, which represent the main players within the Belgian asset management landscape.
Why This Programme?
Gain an in-depth understanding of how asset management works in practice!
By participating in this programme, you will:
- Gain deeper insight into money management, managing funds and portfolios
- Measure and evaluate investment performance
- Strengthen your understanding of different types and needs of institutional investors
- Define the organisation of an asset management activity
- Develop a sound comprehension of the legal and regulatory framework of asset management
- Be able to explain the execution and front-office activity
- Appraise new investments and trends in the asset management industry
The ‘Executive Programme on Asset Management’ consists of a core programme of 9 days (divided in 5 modules) and 2 advanced workshops of 2 days each. Each module or workshop deals with specific aspects of the asset management activity.
Module 0 – Essentials
- Overview and organisation of an asset management company
- History & evolution of financial theory
- Essentials of time value of money and valuation
Module 1 – Asset management today & legal aspects
- Compliance, standards, governance and regulation (fiscal elements, regulatory overview, legal framework, risk profile of funds and funds stakeholders, documents and reporting)
- Investing with style, active vs. passive management, factor investing & smart beta, life cycle investing
- Module 2 – Performance & Risk Management
Module 2 – Performance & Risk management
- Review of statistics
- Risk and risk management (framework, market, interest and counterparty risks, correlations)
- Performance measurement
- Drawdown protection mechanisms
Module 3 – Portfolio management
- Equity (Fundamental analysis, equity portfolio management)
- Fixed Income (Bond basics & exploring the fixed income universe, fundamental analysis and fixed income portfolio management)
- Balanced portfolio management
- Execution and front office
Module 4 – Asset allocation, ESG & alternative investments, digital trends
- Balanced portfolio and asset allocation (the Black-Litterman approach, asset allocation algorithms and drawdown protection mechanisms)
- Socially Responsible Investing (SRI) and Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) Investing
- Private equity and real estate
- Blockchain and token economics
- Artificial Intelligence
Advanced workshop 1 – Types of investors (OPTIONAL)
- Insurance companies (Solvency II & investments)
- Hedge funds
- Private banks
- Pension funds
Advanced workshop 2 – Advanced analytics (OPTIONAL)
- Dynamic covariance models
- Risk-based optimisation
- Tail and skewness risk
- Machine learning
Sophie Manigart holds a Civil Engineering and an MBA degree and is Doctor in Management (Ghent University). She is Full Professor at Vlerick Business School, where she holds the Gimv Private Equity Chair, and is Professor at Ghent University. She was Visiting Researcher at Wharton School of Busin...
David Veredas is Full Professor at Vlerick Business School. For more than 20 years he has developed teaching and research expertise in financial markets and insurance (in particular in financial risks and vast dimensional and complex financial systems). His knowledge ranges from regulation of the...
Jan Longeval is an Asset and Portfolio Management Expert. He is owner and founder of Kounselor BVBA and a former Member of the Group Executive Committee & Managing Director at Degroof Petercam. As a lecturer at Vlerick Business School, he is programme co-director of the Executive Programme on...
Frederiek Van Holle is currently Head of Quant Solutions at Degroof Petercam; previously, he was Head of Quantitative Fixed Income Research at Dexia Asset Management. Frederiek holds a Master’s in Banking & Finance (Ghent University) and has recently earned a Doctorate in Business Administrat...
Jan De Bondt is Executive in Residence at Vlerick Business School. Jan worked for 26 years as a Fixed Income Sales in Brussels, Frankfurt and London. After having built profitable businesses at Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, Lehman Brothers and Societe Generale, he left the execution part of the b...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.