Who should attend
Anyone involved with agribusiness ecosystem, who needs to better leverage management practices in her current activities. The programme is also suitable for senior and/or middle level government officers of the ministries/departments of Agriculture. It also caters to the needs of those who already have some expertise in and passion for agriculture and whose roles and/or projects are becoming increasingly strategic for their agribusiness-related activities.
About the course
Despite a diminishing share in the India’s GDP, contribution of agriculture sector (about 17.3%) to Indian economy is nearly three times the world’s average (approx. 6.1%). India accounts for nearly 7.7% of total global agricultural output (with world rank 12). About 60% of India’s population lives in villages, and a majority of rural households depend on agriculture and related activities for their livelihood. No wonder that the sector is still the largest employer in India’s economy, and continues to play a vital role in driving India’s economic growth. Over the years, agriculture best practices have transformed dramatically from traditional farming to sustainable agriculture ecosystem development. Managing such an ecosystem effectively needs a holistic approach that encompasses the agribusiness value chain end-to-end. For example, low productivity remains a perennial issue with lack of production planning, defragmented supply chain, and inability to exploit the benefits of modern technology to take more informed decision. Marketing remains a major bottleneck despite several initiatives including development of online marketplaces. Although government policies are in place to launch long-term irrigation funds, the progress of implementation is significantly low. According to Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), the combination of market regulation and infrastructure deficiencies leads to a price depressing effect on the sector. An in-depth understanding of marketing, pricing, and effective communication to farmers are essential to avoid any price collapse. In case of any financial distress due to natural calamity or market situation, effective implementation of farm insurance and financial support is desired. In short, apart from natural factors that go beyond human control such as lack of rainfall, management and leadership play a pivotal role in ensuring success of today’s agribusiness.
This programme is aimed at sensitizing the agribusiness stakeholders about the growing strategic and tactical roles played by the management principles and techniques in modern agriculture business and thereby helping them better appreciate the scope and applicability of these best practices in their own organizations. The content targets:
- To provide participants with essential aspects of management techniques and concepts related to agribusiness
- To share the successful and innovative agribusiness models practiced by established firms for replication and wider outreach
- To make participants acquainted with the best practices in agribusiness management in respect of procurement, operations, marketing, sales, supply chain, technology support, information systems, and financial models
- To equip participants with techniques to evaluate and select agribusiness projects/ventures, and to manage and monitor those projects/ventures
Anyone related to agribusiness management and leadership needs to understand the emerging business models, products and services, technology-enabled processes, business level strategies to successfully navigate the evolving competitive landscape. This program focuses typically on those core management principles relevant for agribusiness ecosystem development and management in India.
- Management Principles and Strategy in Agribusiness
- Sustainable Agri-business Value Chain Management and Development
- Agri-economics & Agri-business Organisations (Business Environment)
- Agribusiness Strategies and Leadership
- Agriculture and Agribusiness Consulting
- Agribusiness Entrepreneurship/ New Venture Planning in Agribusiness / Management of Innovation in Agribusiness
- Developing insights in Operations and Supply Chain
related issues in Agribusiness:
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management in Agribusiness (Agri Warehousing)
- Agribusiness Project Management
- Quality Management in Agribusiness
- Leveraging and managing technology in
- Digital Agri-business Transformation
- Big Data Analytics for Food and Agribusiness
- Marketing principles in Agribusiness:
- Agricultural Markets and Pricing/ Agricultural Futures and Option Markets
- E-commerce & M-commerce/ Social Marketing
- Marketing Models for Agribusiness/ Rural Marketing / Consumer Behaviour for Food Products and Services
- Sales and Distribution Management for Agriculture
- Impact of policy and regulatory framework in
- Government Systems, and Agricultural & Food Policy (Public Policy)
- Understanding agribusiness insurance
- Understanding financial management for
- Agri-business Costing and Accounting (Business Valuation)
- Agricultural Finance/ Micro Finance Management/ Rural Financial Services
- Risk Management in Agribusiness
- Interactive participant centred learning process
- Live case studies
- Group presentation and discussion on real-life issues
- Lectures on management techniques by academic experts
The programme will consist of a blend of lectures, case analysis, experiential learning and group discussion
Dr. Debashis Saha, a Professor in the MIS area, has been teaching IT for more than 25 years now. In the full-time executive programmes in IIMC, he has designed and delivered IoT-related courses for Managers, Team Leaders, and Senior Executives. He has delivered several thought-leadership lectures...
Prof. Sumanta Basu is an Associate Professor of Operations Management at Indian Institute of Management Calcutta. He holds a doctoral degree in Production and Quantitative Methods from Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad. Prior joining to IIM Calcutta, he was in XLRI, Jamshedpur as a faculty...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Analytics
Read more about Entrepreneurship
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.