Who should attend
This seminar is designed for all newly appointed managers, supervisors or project leaders as well as those with up to five years of management experience. It is particularly helpful to professionals with several years of technical expertise who have been promoted into management or team leader positions. The concepts and examples are relevant to all functional areas including finance, production, marketing, sales, human resources and information technology.
About the course
This program is an essential must for new or developing managers who wish to acquire successful practices in managing people and handling on-the-job challenges. You will gain a comprehensive understanding of what makes an effective manager, from developing positive relationships, exercising team leadership and motivating people to setting performance expectations and coaching staff to empower growth.
This flagship course boasts thousands of graduates and is a compulsory training step for recently appointed managers in many organizations.
Key Benefits & Takeaways
- Develop a broad understanding of managerial concepts, techniques and decision-making skills
- Practice implementing the key functions of a manager through hands-on exercises
- Increase your ability to motivate and engage others
- Understand the basics of coaching to turn talent into strengths
- Examine proven tools to set and manage performance expectations
- Learn to create and maintain effective collaboration and teamwork
- Discover ways to work through difficult conversations and discipline issues
Managing Versus Leading
- Program introduction
- The role of management
- The transition from doing to managing
- Leadership: Opportunities for future growth
- Workplace trends and challenges facing managers
- Defining the principles of effective communication
- Communicating with diplomacy, tact and credibility
- Identifying and flexing your communication style (self-assessment)
- Applying effective communication strategies and techniques
- Identifying the needs of a diverse workforce
- Understanding the factors that influence retention and increase engagement
- Applying effective talent management strategies to the different generations at work
- Sharing best practices of innovative and productive workplaces
Building Collaboration and Teamwork
- Creating relationships based on trust, collaboration and accountability
- Guiding individuals to work towards a common goal
- Dealing with the barriers to effective teamwork
- Getting your teams to become self-directed and autonomous
- Evaluating team performance
Managing for Performance and Results
- Planning for performance
- Aligning objectives with your company’s business goals
- Establishing performance standards
- Developing performance objectives and work plans
- Monitoring and reviewing results
- Providing feedback
- Diagnosing and dealing with performance gaps and taking corrective action
Seminar Wrap-up: Implementing your Personal Development Plan
- Technologies for giving and receiving feedback
- Interacting with a diverse and dispersed workforce
As a faculty member of the McGill Executive Institute and lecturer in the Desautels Faculty of Management, Miriam Carver’s areas of expertise include leadership development, conflict resolution, negotiation skills, building teams, customer service, executive coaching, and emotional intelligence. ...
Jerry Remillard specializes in team dynamics and implementation of business strategies in the workplace. He is a coach, trainer and consultant, acquiring his corporate skills and knowledge in such well-known corporations as Kraft Foods, Domtar, and Catelli. Through McGill and his own firm, JR Man...
Jane Reichman Van Toch is a specialist in strengthening individual, team and organizational performance. She began her career as a practicing lawyer in the private sector, later transitioning to the role of educator/consultant in the areas of organizational effectiveness, leadership and emotional...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Communication
Read more about Human Capital Management
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.