About the course
Enhance your English skills & explore U.S. culture
Cornell's summer English for International Students and Scholars (EISS) program prepares students, scholars, and visitors for working and studying at a university in the United States or for using English professionally.
As an EISS student, you'll receive
- Full-time intensive English instruction
- Academic, social, and cultural orientation to the United States and its institutions
We offer instruction at all levels and emphasize speaking, reading, writing, listening, comprehension, and grammar skills.
Morning classes focus on academic writing, listening, and speaking as well as exploring U.S. culture through readings and discussions.
Afternoon activities include netowrking workshops, pronunciation workshops, presentation skills sessions, or individual consultations.
- Improve your ability to use English accurately in speaking and writing.
- Build skills for communicating in culturally appropriate ways.
- Develop the language skills to achieve your professional, academic, and personal goals in your field.
- Practice reading, note-taking, and listening to lectures and presentations.
- Use English in daily communication with your instructors, peers, and others.
- Access select Cornell facilities and services, including fitness centers, libraries, and computer labs.
Shena Driscoll Salvato earned her master's of education degree in second language education with a focus on teaching English to speakers of other languages. She also holds a master's equivalency from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and bachelor's degrees in special and elementary education. She...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Communication
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.