Comprehensive course analysis
- What do past participants have to say about the course?
- How many participants were promoted within three years after graduation?
- How did this course affect participants' professional trajectories?
- How many participants got their salary increased within two years after completing the program?
- What do past participants have to say about the course?
About the course
The Energy Executive Course has earned a worldwide reputation as the premier industry-driven executive education program designed specifically for energy company leaders. Led by a nationwide industry advisory committee of experts, the course provides executives with a comprehensive analysis of the industry’s top challenges and opportunities, as well as training to enhance leadership abilities. Held in a dynamic academic environment, the Energy Executive Course's intensive three-week format combines some of the energy industry’s best leaders with a world-class faculty and a competency-based curriculum. The extensive networking opportunities during the course provide participants with a global community for exchanging ideas, best practices, and insights to adapt and lead for the future.
The comprehensive curriculum helps participants build in-depth knowledge, leadership skills, a strategic mind-set, global vision, and professional networks. With over 100 in-class faculty contact hours and educational study tours, the coursework offers full immersion in the energy industry. A rigorous evaluation process ensures relevant and timely content.
- Electric Power Generation, Transmission and Distribution
- Natural Gas Production, Transmission and Delivery
- How Utilities Make Money
- Financial Management
- Capital Markets
- Regulation and Rate Making
- Effective Rate Making in the Evolving Regulatory Landscape
- Leading Self and Others
- Putting New Knowledge to Work
- Current Issues Facing CFO's
- New Energy Consumer
- Workforce of Today and Tomorrow
- Customer Experience
- Fuel Diversity: Integrated Resource Planning
- Wholesale Power Markets
- Energy Security
- Environmental Collaboration
- Current Issues in the Natural Gas Industry
- Grid Modernization
- Energy Company of the Future
- Corporate Strategy
- Design Thinker Simulation
- Electric Power Industry Outlook
- Future Think Scenario Planning
- Evolving Utility in a Shrinking Global Market
Participation in the Energy Executive Course is an inspiring and transforming experience — resulting in more successful leadership as well as increased knowledge and professional growth. The course is designed and tailored for energy company leaders to:
- Broaden understanding of the evolving energy company and its changing business environment. This understanding includes customer requirements, new priorities and issues, developing technologies, and the dynamics of the changing business and regulatory environment.
- Enhance the ability to lead and make decisions confidently. This ability focuses on meeting the challenges of leadership and decision-making in a climate of increasing customer choice, rising expectations, fluctuating prices, shifting strategies, and global competition in the marketplace.
- Create a rewarding environment that fosters personal and professional networks. These networks serve as on-going resources through the exchange of ideas, experiences, best practices, and perspectives.
Industry knowledge, Adaptability, Strategic thinking, Global perspective. In an era of unprecedented industry challenges, these are just some of the competencies today's energy company managers must master in order to meet the growing demands of leadership. The competency-based curriculum ensures a well-rounded learning experience, allowing participants to increase knowledge and skills while finding new ways to enhance professional effectiveness. The program is committed to developing the capabilities of all its participants in five major areas of competency:
- Building in-depth knowledge... of the complex energy industry.
- Developing leadership skills... specifically related to successful management in the energy industry.
- Building a strategic mind-set... to lead your workforce in today's dynamic marketplace.
- Developing a global vision... of what your work group, company, and industry can become.
- Building professional networks... for sharing best practices with a wide array of individuals throughout the industry.
Professor Emeritus Dr. Anderson is an Emeritus Professor, Smith School of Business, Queen’s University (Canada) and Adjunct Professor, Waikato Management School, Hamilton, New Zealand. Prior to his retirement from Queen’s University in 2003, Dr. Anderson held a number of senior administrative...
Market leaders in municipal government and the print media, travel, energy and defense sectors have utilized Lyall’s talents to deliver exceptional results during times of change. Lyall is recognized for his ability to apply his talent, knowledge, laughter and fun demeanor to help vibrant, dedica...
Inspiring the development of others is at the core of Mike’s business philosophy and drives his leadership approach. He and his team rely heavily on business analytics to develop a clear strategy that, when paired with our effective organizational structure, helps us see beyond where they are at ...
Roy has walked the talk and taken just about every step from the bottom to the top. There were no shortcuts from the front line to the boardroom as he climbed twenty layers of management during his nearly double decade tenure at Marriott International. He connects with people because he speaks fr...
Vice President, Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer since May 2009, formerly Vice President and Chief Financial Officer since December 2003. Prior to joining NorthWestern, Mr. Bird was Chief Financial Officer and Principal of Insight Energy, Inc., a Chicago-based independent power generation de...
Jean Leger, Jr. has 30 years in the energy industry including work in the crude oil refining, natural gas midstream and electric segments. He has served with OGE Energy Corp. for 20 years. He is currently vice president of operations for OGE’s electric utility OG&E. Prior to this he served...
George Pohndorf has 22 years of executive leadership experience in the energy industry with an extensive background in utility finance and regulation. George currently serves as a Principal Consultant with Black & Veatch Management Consulting, LLC and leads its State and Federal Regulatory pr...
Mark Thies is executive vice president, treasurer, and chief financial officer of Avista Corp. He joined the company in September 2008. Thies is an accomplished leader with extensive experience in finance, risk management, accounting and administration in the utility sector. Prior to joining Avis...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.