Who should attend
Students from all educational backgrounds welcome.
About the course
This course will introduce you to a training development process in which you will learn designing successful workshops, delivering presentations, and evaluating training effectiveness. This course builds upon the topics covered in the core course: Organizational Behaviour.
Course at a glance
- In-class, face-to-face delivery with instructional support through eClass, the University of Alberta’s eLearning management tool.
- Practice effective teaching techniques and reflect on how they can be applied to the context of your own organization; explore and discuss due diligence in safety training, as well as the importance of leadership in the training environment.
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate a foundational understanding of adult learning theory and models.
- Demonstrate a foundational understanding of outcomes-based education.
- Develop learning materials that enhance student success in a learner-centred environment.
- Demonstrate techniques for presenting with confidence.
- Develop and teach a lesson using principles of effective lesson design.
- Interpret and explain the concepts of due diligence and the responsibilities pertaining to the role of a safety trainer.
- Examine the foundational concepts of leadership, including key theories, definitions, and leadership styles.
- Differentiate between leadership and management.
- Reading materials for this course will be made available through eClass, the University of Alberta’s eLearning management tool.
- This course requires students to have access to a web camera.
Nicole Orr has two decades of experience in Health, Safety, and Environment in the industrial construction, residential, transportation, commercial, manufacturing, and engineering industries. She has worked in the creation and management of contractor, prime contractor, and owner Health, Safety, ...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.