Directors Education Program
Telfer School of Management is proud to announce that Canada’s leading program for directors is coming to Ottawa. The Directors Education Program (DEP), jointly developed by the Institute of Corporate Directors (ICD) and the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management, is offered nationally at Canada’s top business schools.
Directors are continually challenged by information gaps, time squeezes and the behavioural dynamics that can be encountered in the boardroom. The ICD-Rotman DEP has been specifically designed to help experienced directors overcome these challenges by introducing activities and processes that assist them in fulfilling their role.
Complemented by some of Canada’s most accomplished and highly respected faculty, this 12-day course is taught by leading governance experts delivered in four three-day modules. The program offers experiential learning through breakouts and board simulations tailored to meet the needs of directors from corporate, Crown, co-operative and large not-for-profit organizations.
What You Will Learn
- The fundamental board tasks and processes including director legal duties and responsibilities, overseeing strategic decisions, as well as managing group dynamics and decision-making in the boardroom
- The board’s responsibility to oversee and monitor financial performance, health, and disclosure
- The board’s role in enhancing human performance, including the appointing, evaluation, compensation and renewal of the executive team
- How to integrate all learning across the four modules by employing an enterprise risk management framework that helps directors identify and prioritize the wide range of issues influencing their organizations
- Strengthen your skills and be more effective in creating and protecting value for the organizations you serve
- Become a DEP Alumni and join a national network of 3,800 directors and over 10,000 ICD members across Canada
- Complete the first step toward the ICD.D designation upon completion of a written examination and a board meeting simulation chaired and vice-chaired by some of Canada's most senior directors
Who should attend
The DEP is tailored to meet the unique challenges of directors of:
- public companies
- Crown corporations
- public institutions
- large not-for-profit organizations