Who should attend
Students from all educational backgrounds welcome. You can register for this course without applying and enrolling in a program.
About the course
Build an effective online presence through a strong marketing strategy that reflects your organizational culture. Learn about best practices for social media and marketing across various platforms, building and strengthening organizational reputation and brand online, strategic planning and development, how to build a social media following, and steps for executing an integrated strategic social media marketing plan.
Course at a glance
- Fully online asynchronous course, accessible through eClass, the University of Alberta’s eLearning management tool.
- Learn all the steps and develop your own integrated social media marketing plan.
- Aimed at those who want to better reach and communicate with their target audiences while understanding and building social media skills, including small business owners and those working in government, small to large enterprises, not-for-profits, and board-run organizations.
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Articulate how social media can be used for strategic communication, brand & reputation, and marketing.
- Identify your social media persona.
- Develop an awareness of the different approaches required for each platform.
- Understand the difference between organic, earned, and paid marketing.
- Acquire knowledge and skills to integrate social media technologies into your marketing plan.
- Apply key concepts and methods related to marketing by using a social media platform for strategic marketing purposes.
- Develop an integrated social media marketing plan.
- This course has the equivalent of three hours of online instruction per week (including voice over PowerPoints, readings, and resource links), plus weekly assignments.
- Students are encouraged to build relationships and network with their classmates through forums and discussions.
- While there are no prerequisites for this course, a general working knowledge of Social Media platforms is recommended for student success.
- You will be expected to have existing social media accounts or to create them prior to the course start date.
Brian Siddle is the Director of Community and Content at Strong Coffee Marketing. Located in Edmonton, Alberta, Strong Coffee Marketing is an award-winning digital agency that focuses on the development and execution of online marketing strategies. Since its foundation in 2009, the agency has wor...
Work Managing Partner, Director of Planning & Operations @ Strong Coffee Marketing Executive Director @ totalBarça Strategic & Business Planning @ Alberta Municipal Affairs Education MBA in Strategy & Marketing @ Queen's University BCOM in Marketing @ University of Alberta Skills Busi...
Read more about Business Communication
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.