Who should attend
Federal and Pass-Through Entity personnel responsible for overseeing grant recipients/subrecipients and recipient personnel responsible for grant project administration will benefit from this course.
About the course
The Government Accountability Office (GAO) has found that billions in Federal grant awards are subject to waste, fraud, and abuse. Grant recipients and other grants personnel must be vigilant in detecting and preventing fraud in grant administration. You will gain an understanding of potential fraud risks inherent in various programs and entities, and learn techniques to mitigate those risks. Case studies will enhance your learning, enabling you to practice identifying and preventing fraudulent activities. This is an elective course in all tracks of the GMCP™.
- Conduct a risk assessment of a sample federal program
- Create an effective fraud prevention monitoring process
- Evaluate and test an entity's internal controls for vulnerabilities
- Analyze case studies for actions that could have prevented fraud or detected it earlier
- Review a sample recipient to determine whether fraud is occurring
- Develop action item lists to improve fraud monitoring
Fraud in the Grants Context
- Fraud in Federal Financial Assistance
- Influences Driving Focus on Fraud Prevention
- What is Fraud?
Fraud Prevention: Risk Assessments
- Understanding the Mind of a Fraudster
- Risk Assessments
Fraud Prevention: Policies and Procedures
- Internal Controls
- Management’s Role in Deterring Fraud
- Communication and Training
Fraud Detection: What are You Looking For?
- Who is Likely to Notice Red Flags?
- Types of Red Flags
- Challenges to Detecting Fraud
Fraud Detection Tools
- Site Visits
- Desk Reviews
- Financial Reconciliations
- Exercise: Bank Reconciliation Scenario
- Data Analytics
Actions to Take When Fraud is Suspected or Detected
- Reporting Suspected Fraud
- Remedies to Resolve Issues that Led to Fraud
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.