Who should attend
This course is perfect for anyone with an interest in surface decoration and homewares, either as a designer from another field who wants to start creating in this space, or as a hobbyist.
About the course
Surface decoration transforms plain homewares into desirable items that appeal strongly to different groups of consumers, and so skilled surface and pattern designers play a vital role in the homewares and ceramics retail sector.
In this online course you will gain an insight into how to create and design patterns, through practical experimentation with a range of hand-painting techniques. These mimic traditional pot decoration techniques, and can be used to create patterns for interiors, wallpapers, and homewares.
You will start with visual research, learning where to find inspiration, how to recognise trends and decor styles, and how to develop these inputs into distinctive palettes and motifs. Then you will create experimental designs with different techniques, and develop these into layouts, patterns, and a collection which can be displayed in a portfolio.
Every lesson is interactive and practical, and you will learn through Q&A, hands-on making, and tutor feedback on your work.
By the end of the course you will have;
- Gained confidence in a range of painting techniques
- Developed a deeper understanding of designing for ceramics and homewares
- Produced artwork you can further develop digitally
- Learned how to present a portfolio of work
- How to analyse the homewares market
- Visual research for surface decoration for homewares
- Experimental mark-making techniques with stamps and other methods
- Experimental painting techniques with Gesso, wax resist, dry brush and other methods
- How to create patterns
- Discovering and examining simple layouts
- What is a collection, and how to create a collection
- How to present your work and produce a portfolio
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.