Who should attend
- Business and finance professionals who are highly interested in corporate finance.
- General managers or directors, financial managers or directors, management accountants, controllers, BU managers or management consultants.
- Professionals with minimum 3 years of working experience and with a good knowledge of financial management.
About the course
Individuals with a financial talent are greatly valued in economic and financial circles. Not surprising, since the profession is becoming more and more complex and dynamic. By following this programme you will become a financial expert with a strong academic background, capable of analysing and solving complex financial issues.
Why This Programme?
What is the added value of following the 'Executive Master Class in Corporate Finance'?
- You will acquire theoretical, conceptual and practice oriented knowledge and know-how regarding all aspects of Corporate Finance.
- You will know the new and improved techniques and instruments for financial planning, financial analysis, valuing your company and for making smarter investment decisions.
- You will have a toolkit of ready-to-use instruments for financial decision-making in an international context.
- You’ll be able to tailor this programme to your and your company’s needs.
Moreover you’ll be part of an exciting Vlerick learning experience. Learning about business at Vlerick will inspire you for a lifetime. We have a unique approach to learning, which focuses on bringing theory to life, giving you the skills and insight you need to really make a difference. Spend time on our beautiful campuses, and you become part of one of the most active business communities in Europe, learning in a way that will help you to be a more effective and productive business leader throughout your career. Our programmes put you at the centre of every learning experience. And it really is an experience far away from traditional classroom learning. You’ll work collaboratively with your faculty and fellow participants to bring your ideas to life in a robust and practical way.
Putting ideas into action
We’ll encourage you to capture ideas every day and develop them into concrete plans for your company. These techniques will help you to view the whole of your career as a continuous learning opportunity.
Live it, learn it, do it
Academic tools & frameworks are only valuable if they can be applied in real life. As well as traditional learning, you'll go on visits, you'll be taking part in discussions, simulations & group assignments. You'll also be able to interact with faculty and course participants via our online platforms.
Throughout the programme, you’ll channel your learning into addressing a challenge in your own business. It’s an approach that proves real ROI to you and your company.
The big picture
Being at Vlerick gives you a great opportunity to step back from daily business and to take on a more strategic view.
You’ll work alongside experienced people from diverse backgrounds – and you can actively choose who you mix with by choosing different pathways through your learning. You’ll be sharing, learning and benefitting from the buzz of group energy.
We’re on your side, all the way
Continuous learning is a way of life at Vlerick. Our teams have an open door policy and they're always keen to share their vast experience.
An Executive Master Class begins with four core modules. These have been designed to give you a superb basis and get you working alongside your fellow participants and the faculty. Before or after the core modules you can choose out of a broad range of programmes how you want to complement the core modules. We’ll suggest two learning paths but at the same time allow you to build your own learning path. You will find more details when you browse through this programme webpage.
Module 1: Corporate Finance Decisions (3 days)
- First, we’ll use case studies and an Interactive online game to remind ourselves of the fundamentals.
- You’ll also meet your fellow participants and be involved in discussions and highly interactive sessions that will characterise the whole of your learning journey at Vlerick.
- Topics covered: the purpose of corporate finance, overview of recent major transactions, recap of financial statements and analysis, working capital management, planning and fundraising, introduction to capital budgeting, firm valuation, enterprise risk management.
Module 2: Advanced Corporate Finance (3 days)
- We’ll delve into the theories that underpin all corporate finance decisions. These will include capital budgeting and financial structure decisions and their impact on investors’ expected returns – as well as your company’s average weighted cost of capital.
- Value creation is the central theme. How do your financial decisions contribute to value creation? We’ll be examining examples and case studies to bring the theory to life and pave the way for further learning.
Module 3: Accounting for Financial Decision Making (3 days)
- The state of a company’s health is measured by its numbers. Accounting communicates the figures to investors, managers and other stakeholders through financial statements. But that in itself is not enough. They need to be able to interpret the financial statements too. This module deals with financial accounting’s link with the real economy in the context of international financial markets.
- Topics covered: the link between accounting and valuation, valuation methods and value frameworks, cash flow analysis, including liquidity and solvency ratios, profitability analysis, including return on net operating assets and ROE.
Module 4: Capital Budgeting & Company Valuation (3 days)
- Value creation should be the cornerstone of every corporate strategy - and every finance professional should master how to appraise both companies and projects. You will gain a profound understanding of the concepts of value and return, under conditions of risk and uncertainty.
- You will also learn how to conduct a risk assessment and a cost of capital analysis that can serve as a basis for discounted cash flow models and other valuation tools, including multiples. Using a real options framework, you will also learn to conduct assessments that factor in management flexibility.
- Topics covered: risk and return, cost of capital, project appraisal methods including NPV, IRR and payback, company valuation techniques including DCF and multiples, sensitivity analysis, Monte Carlo simulation and real options.
Sophie Manigart holds a Civil Engineering and an MBA degree and is Doctor in Management (Ghent University). She is Full Professor at Vlerick Business School, where she holds the Gimv Private Equity Chair, and is Professor at Ghent University. She was Visiting Researcher at Wharton School of Busin...
Mathieu shows how insights into financial figures and decisions can lead to value creation. Mathieu Luypaert is Associate Professor of Corporate Finance and Programme Director of the Masters of General Management at Vlerick Business School. Mathieu Luypaert obtained the title of Doctor in Applie...
Wouter De Maeseneire obtained his PhD from Erasmus University Rotterdam. He has worked as Assistant Professor in Corporate Finance at Erasmus and as Visiting Professor at Vlerick Business School. Currently he is Associate Professor in Corporate Finance at Vlerick and Visiting Professor at Erasmus...
Bruno Colmant is an Executive Board member at Bank Degroof Petercam, the largest private bank in Belgium. Prior to that, he was a partner with the German consulting company Roland Berger, the deputy CEO of the largest belgian insurance company AGEAS and head of Euronext Brussels and responsible f...
And over 30,000 online and printed journals + well-known business databases like Bloomberg, Euromonitor,... available for you. Peter Maenhout is Investor in Residence at Vlerick Business School. He is Executive Vice-President at GIMV. Peter Maenhout has an extensive professional experience, first...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.