Who should attend
Working professionals at mid-career to senior career level, who hold or aspire to leadership positions in governments, international organisations and NGOs, as well as those in private sector seeking relevant skills and exposure.
About the course
Broaden your horizons
Navigate today’s debates on the complex linkages between conflict, fragility and development:
- Urban safety
- Weak governance and dysfunctional institutions
- Natural disasters response and preparedness
- Domestic, as well as sexual and gender-based violence
- Land tenure and rural insecurity
- Cross-border dynamics of cooperation
- Social services provision (health and education)
- Armed violence prevention and reduction strategies
Enhance your skills
- Improve your ability to conduct strategic analysis
- Strengthen your communication skills to effectively
- influence debates and discussions
- Be able to undertake day-to-day activities in fragile and rapidly changing environments
- Become familiar with applied methods, including data collection, interpretation and risks
- Learn how to better interact with your team and interlocutors
- Acquire skills for a systematic consideration of the context, including institutional and societal dynamics
- Experience a unique curriculum (module 1 in one of our regional hubs, module 2 at your place of work with e-learning, module 3 in international Geneva)
- Conduct a job-related thesis to enhance your organisation’s effectiveness
MODULE 1 (full-time)
5 weeks at the American University of Central Asia (AUCA) in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
- Acquire analytical and methodological skills (professional thesis)
- Study development projects in fragile and conflict-affected settings
- Analyse conflict and fragility - Identify conflict drivers, societal fault lines and fragility triggers
Valérie D’Hoedt Meyer is Director of Academic Development for the Executive Education of the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies. She is in charge with the development of innovative programmes and pedagogical tools, as well as the building of academic partnerships for Exe...
AREAS OF EXPERTISE Education and training policies, educational analysis, skills development Knowledge society, knowledge networks Social inequalities Methods in social sciences Governance, decentralisation Dr Dormeier Freire is Senior lecturer at the Graduate Institute and Asian Academic Coo...
AREAS OF EXPERTISE Emerging countries European Union Finance, financial markets, international investment Foreign policies Globalisation Multilateral diplomacy and international negotiation Regional integration Trade policies and law - WTO GEOGRAPHICAL REGION OF EXPERTISE North America West...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.