Who should attend
Managers, superintendents, supervisors and officers in the functions of Human Resources and/or training and development. The program is also very useful for line managers whose organization is currently, or about to start, using competencies as a framework for recruiting, selecting and training employees
About the course
Competency-based management is an approach to human resource management that integrates and examines all human resource management activities against competencies. Competencies describe a range of activities undertaken to achieve successful job performance.
Competency models answer the following questions about jobs: what skills, knowledge, and characteristics are required to perform the job? What behaviours have the most direct impact on job performance and job success?
This workshop introduces participants to the organisational benefits of competency - based - management; requirements for introducing competency- based management into an organisation and different approaches to developing competency models.
By the end of the program, participants will be able to:
- Define competencies, their history and the important role they play in Human Resources and the organization.
- Analyze the main components of a competency and the differences between each.
- Extract competencies from business plans and apply the steps needed in designing competency frameworks and models.
- Apply competencies in the recruitment and selection processes.
- Use competencies for identifying training needs, talent pools and succession plans.
- Utilize competencies and behavioral indicators in performance appraisal systems.
- History, Origins and Definitions
- Components: Differences between Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- The Iceberg Model
- Competence versus Competency
Competency Frameworks and Models
- Types of Competencies
- Standard Levels of Competence
- Customized Levels: The Use of Behavioral Indicators
- Competency Job Profiles versus Job Descriptions
- Competency Job Profiles and Personal Profiles
- Competency Gap Analysis
- Extracting Competencies from Strategic Plans
- Key Result Areas, Core Competencies and Core Values
- Defining Job Requirements
- Designing and Conducting Competency-Based Interviews
- Competency-Based Selection
Competencies in Training and Development
- Classical TNAs
- Competency-Based TNAs
- Competencies in Succession Planning
Competency-Based Appraisal Systems
- Advantages and Disadvantages
- Translating Personal Competence to an Appraisal Rating: The Main Formula.
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.