Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
Leaders charged with creating and implementing strategy and developing organizational capability:
- Senior Leaders
- General Managers
- Functional Managers
- Unit Leaders
- Strategic Influencers
- Ideal whether you have direct reports or not!
About the course
Today’s workplace offers a complex variety of modes through which leaders communicate critical concepts, ideas, and strategic messages. This program will help you explore effective strategies for communicating strategic vision up, down, and across the organization, with particular focus on leading across generations.
Improve your ability to effectively:
- Leverage intentional communication and messaging as a strategic leadership strength
- Uncover unique drivers of performance in a diverse workforce
- Learn a methodology for effectively framing and communicating strategic vision
- Select modes of communication that foster engagement and support change
- Select the best channels for different messages
- Acquire influencing tactics to get buy-in for your vision
- Understand the importance of authenticity
You will acquire a technique for framing your strategy and develop plans to utilize the most appropriate channels and technologies to connect with your team.
Communication Strategy for Leaders
- Critical foundations of impactful messages
- Respecting the perspective of your multi-faceted audience
- Creating a message to connect people with strategy
- A leader’s ‘authentic self’
- Connecting with your audience
- Aligning the message and your perspective
Influence and persuasion to win hearts and minds.
- Framing, symbols and strategies
- The words, music and dance of interpersonal influence
- Empowering and building emotional energy for change
Choosing the best channel
- Channel types – benefits and considerations
- Aligning your goals, the audience, and the channel
- Looking to the future – what’s coming?
Bringing it together
What now? Using communication to support organizational transformation
Value For You and Your Organization
When used effectively, the leveraging a targeted message to the appropriate audience using the best communication channel can connect seemingly disparate groups in ways not previously possible, critical for leaders in the current quickly changing world. You will leave this short course with a roadmap for how to hit the ground running for immediate results and success.
Andy Gustafson currently teaches in the MBA communications course, BA 517, as well as serves as Director for the Communications Program. Andy is currently employed with the Smeal College of Business, as someone who works with students on a daily basis, helping them to shape their University exper...
Education: Ph. D., University of Oklahoma, 2007 Biography: Research Interests My research interests are best categorized into two broad, yet overlapping domains: leadership and innovation management. Within the area of leadership, my current interests revolve around understanding darker leader...
Read more about Business Communication
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.