Who should attend
Participants from the public and private sector responsible for climate and disaster risk management, including representatives (managers at mid-level and above) from public administration offices at national and sub-sovereign levels, regional and national development agencies/banks, financial intermediaries and insurance companies, cooperatives & agriculture entrepreneurs, scientists. Significant insurance expertise not required.
About the course
Natural disasters are a major impediment to development in many countries, undermining sustainable development and leading to loss of lives and livelihoods. The course will help to understand the spectrum of solutions offered by innovative climate and disaster risk insurance products as an essential element of a comprehensive risk management strategy. Participants will be introduced to the process of product development as well as tools and models relevant for climate and disaster risk analysis, insurance product design and pricing.
- Understanding the relevance of climate and disaster (C&D) risk insurance
- Understanding C&D risk insurance products
- Introduction to risk pricing and placement processes for C&D risk transfer products
- Understanding the impact of climate change on risk assessment and risk pricing
- the relevance of climate and disaster (C&D) risks in developing and emerging economies and the expected future impact on sustainable development
- the spectrum of innovative C&D risk insurance schemes and first lessons learned, their relevance and complementarity to other financial instruments to manage C&D risks
- international initiatives and support programs to increase access to C&D risk insurance and overcome existing barriers of market development
- existing risk analysis tools and models to assess C&D risks and how to apply them to define comprehensive climate adaptation policies including C&D risk insurance
- the different elements of the development process for climate risk insurance products, covering relevant aspects for a comprehensive concept :
- Risk analysis,
- Demand analysis,
- Data management,
- Product design,
- Distribution strategy,
- Policy/ claims management
- the elements of the climate risk insurance pricing process and premium components
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.