Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This program benefits all leaders who want to develop the capability to lead and manage innovation, including:
- Senior managers of business units
- Directors and vice-presidents;
- Strategic planners and corporate advisers
- Regional, national, and international division managers
- IT operations, marketing, sales, quality and manufacturing managers;
- Functional department heads
- Public sector department leaders
- Leaders on critical organizational priorities.
About the course
Innovation is the #1 strategic driver that grows business. Gain insight and comprehensive expertise in innovation leadership, including innovation fundamentals, planning innovation, design thinking, process and the practice, and leading innovation.
Benefit from hands-on and peer-to-peer learning during in-class exercises and case studies, and take advantage of leading-edge teaching tools, including an innovation playbook of techniques and frameworks, your personal FourSight Breakthrough Thinking Profile, and targeted and relevant take-away articles on applying innovation.
You’ll boost your strategic leadership skill set while simultaneously finding new ways to create value for your customers and organization. Learn to identify opportunities and challenges that inform new strategies; use design thinking to foster and accelerate innovation; and lead successful innovation projects. Gain insight on how culture impacts leadership success and how to influence stakeholders to gain momentum.
What You Will Learn
- How to link innovation planning to your current and future business strategies
- Lead successful innovation initiatives in any area of your organization
- Target areas of your organization where you need strategic innovation
- Learn how culture impacts leadership success
- Apply design thinking to innovation efforts
- Embed an innovation process in your team or organizational approach
- Execute innovations through change management and innovation planning
Innovation: The Fundamentals – Day 1
- Take the FOURSIGHT™ Breakthrough Thinking Profile
- Complete innovation survey
- Read selected innovation articles
The Essential Links
- Defining innovation in your organization
- Determining the appropriate level and type
- Managing an effective innovation portfolio
Innovation as a Practice
- Innovation as practice
- Applying the FOURSIGHT™ profile
- Key principles of creative thinking
- Overcoming barriers
Planning Innovation – Day 2
The Challenges of Leading an Innovating Organization
- Critical nature of innovative thinking
- Challenges of leading innovation
- Effective risk assessment
How Much and What Kind of Innovation Do You Want?
- From incremental to disruptive
- Forces driving relentless change
- Ensure you and your organization arenot ‘blindsided’
Design Thinking – Day 3
Innovative Company Site Visits
- Site visits with an emphasis on culture, space and engagement
Implications for Innovation
- The critical nature of insights
- The design process and application
The Process and the Practice – Day 4
Innovation as a Process
- The four-step innovation process
- Develop expertise in each critical step
Making Innovation Happen
- Building the case for change
- Determining the level and degree of organizational change
- Developing stakeholder influencing strategies
Leading Innovation – Day 5
The Culture of Innovation
- Leading self, teams and enterprise-wide innovation
- Culture as an enabler
- Mindset, tool set an skill set integration
Integration of Competencies
- Review and application
Key Program Take-Aways
- An innovation playbook capturing all tools, techniques and frameworks
- Your personal FOURSIGHT™ Breakthrough Thinking Profile
- Targeted and relevant take-away articles on applying innovation
- A network of current innovation practitioners and thought leaders
- One 2-hour innovation coaching session
Biography David S. Weiss received his doctorate from the University of Toronto and has three Master’s Degrees in psychology, education and philosophy. David is a highly sought-after keynote speaker and has been honoured with the “Distinguished Lecturer” certificate from the Government of Canada. ...
Lee-Anne McAlear is Program Director, Centre of Excellence in Applied Innovation Management for the Schulich Executive Education Centre, York University. Lee-Anne is an experienced facilitator, writer, consultant and speaker with a background in innovation, leadership development, strategic plann...
Program Director, Centre of Excellence in Innovation Management, author and founding partner of Mitchell Consulting. Megan is one of Canada’s top innovation practitioners with over 20 years experience in innovation, marketing, sales, HR and leadership. Her passion is leadership effectiveness to b...
Biography Rob LaJoie is the Managing Partner and leader of the consulting and implementation practices for Ideaction Inc. He is an experienced business leader, manager and practical innovator who applies the process of innovating to solve real business problems. Rob’s expertise lies in the areas...
Biography After sneaking away from a small-town prairie farm, Shane spent his early career as an entrepreneur in North America and Europe focused on product design, robotics and connected devices. He later joined Idea Couture, a Design Thinking and innovation consultancy, to combine his technical...
Andrew Maxwell is the Bergeron Chair in Technology Entrepreneurship at the Lassonde School of Engineering, York University (Toronto), where he teaches courses in technology entrepreneurship, renaissance engineering and technology commercialization. He has received multiple teaching awards, includ...
Videos and materials
Read more about Digital Transformation
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.