Certificate in Strategic Agility
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Schulich Executive Learning Centre.Full disclaimer.
Divided into three modules over five days, this executive program strengthens your expertise on the basic elements of organization structure and strategy, and delivers insight on the fundamentals of value and your value proposition.
You’ll develop the ability to lead strategic agility and create new narratives that introduce people to change alternatives, move them through refining a direction and successfully implement effective ideas. Learn to integrate intuitive thinking and overcome the curses of success – the tyranny of the “core business,” strategic myopia and resource imprisonment – to prepare you and your organization for a truly sustainable future.
What You Will Learn
The Certificate In Strategic Agility is an opportunity to change the way you think about your organization and the role you play in it, including:
- Basic elements of organization structure, strategy and design
- Fundamentals of value and your value proposition
- Structuring new business models
- Leveraging virtual/networked organizations for sustained success
- Learning to lead strategic agility so that others want to follow
- Designing organizations for a wiki-world dominated by “netgeners” and social media
Actively overcoming the “curses” of success:
- Tunnel vision
- The tyranny of the “core business”
- Strategic myopia
- Resource imprisonment
Course content details
In order to be agile, organizational leaders need to be able to carry on Strategic Conversations. These are conversations that integrate multiple perspectives in order to arrive at a new insight – an "aha". Learn to conduct Strategic Conversations – harness the collective intelligence of your organization – building the capacity for people to engage in meaningful contribution.
In this module, challenge yourself to explore through questions rather than answers.
- Develop your ability to explore organizational paradox using multiple frames
- Develop your ability to engage in Strategic Conversation
- Enhance your ability to engage in complex problemsolving through multiple paradigms
- Strategic Conversations – exploring paradox and integrative thinking
- Brainstorming and Using Multiple Frames – practicing tools and techniques for “seeing” beyond the surface
- Exploring organization design paradigms – moving beyond bricks and mortar to examine Chaos Theory, String Theory, Starfish, Spiders and Tribes
- Challenging the Sacred Cows – Planned Abandonment, virtual organizations, jobless organizations
Strategic Organization Design
Strategic Agility recognizes that the greatest source of sustainable competitive advantage comes from the innovative ways people contribute to organizations, and the ways in which leaders help people achieve something of significance. Building on the first module, and integrating "strategy" and organization design, this module will examine the impact of strategic purpose, and strategic value proposals.
Learn to “read” the pillars of an organization’s design.
- Examine your ideas of “how things should be,” challenge yourself to question what is working, and why
- Explore some of the strategic lenses of an organization, and keys to an organization’s sustainability
- Design for sustainability and ability
- Design for paradox and complexity
- Ability to articulate a Business Model and Value Proposition
- Strategic organization design – basic footings of an organization
- Social, environmental, and technical origins of organizations
- Basic structural elements – division of labour, differentiation, integration, etc.
- Strategy-structure relationship – purposeful design
- What is the “Business Model”?
- What is “Value” and the “Value Proposition”?
- How do we design for innovation? What role should social media play in organizational activity?
- Blue Ocean? White Space? Wiki? Disruptive Technologies – fads or design imperatives?
Leading the Agile Organization
The final module starts from the premise that the purpose of an organization is to do something important. How do you as a leader get people to want and be able to do something important? Agility starts with you. Learn how to lead in this brave new world by developing a skill set for moving from talking about vision to having an engaged and motivated workplace that "gets it done".
- Develop your ability to differentiate between leadership and management and when each is needed
- Engage in Appreciative Leadership
- Articulate your personal brand and leadership vision
- What is the social contract between leaders and followers?
- What differentiates a leader from an executive?
- What do you want to be known for as a leader?
- How will you build your team?
Who should attend
This program is designed for business, government and non-profit executives who are responsible for business planning and organizational strategy. Leaders who want to expand their understanding of their organization, explore alternative structures, and develop their strategic agility, including:
- Presidents and Vice-Presidents
- Division and General Managers
- Strategic Planning & Business Development Managers
- National, Regional and International Managers