Who should attend
Individuals with a passion for photography who want to improve their photography skills, including aspiring professionals. The program is ideal for those who want to do more with their photography and those exploring a career transition.
About the course
To produce a quality photograph is to preserve a moment in a way that reveals the subject’s essence — as well as the vision and technical skills of the photographer. Today’s best pictures are a product of the latest digital photography tools and the timeless ability to visualize, design and capture an image of lasting impact.
In this three-course certificate program, you’ll develop a better understanding of light itself, and the ability to make more powerful photographs. We’ll survey the history of photography and learn from the masters, then guide you in developing your own personal style. You'll get extensive hands-on practice with a digital camera and explore composition, production, business practices and how to share your work. You’ll gain skills needed to help you develop an artistic or commercial career in photography.
Become part of a deep network of photographers that continues to engage and enrich long after the end of the program, especially online.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- Ways that social and political conditions, artistic trends and technology have influenced photography throughout history
- How to use photo organizing and processing software to manage your photo collection, proficiently develop RAW photo capture and create composite multiple images
- Different facets of professional practice, including professional portfolios, fine art exhibition and freelancing
- Insights on the business of photography
GET HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE
- Use class photography assignments to develop a body of work that you can share live online and asynchronously for instructor, class and professional feedback, including advisory board members
- Create a portfolio to use for exhibition and professional services, and meet industry professionals to explore business practices and latest trends
- Showcase your work in a year-end online exhibit and printed anthology book
- View a sample anthology and photo gallery
David Julian is a Seattle-based photographer, photo-illustrator, speaker and educator. He divides his time between assignments, travels and teaching. He has led workshops for Maine Media Workshops, Santa Fe Workshops, Anderson Ranch Arts Center, Un-Cruise and in Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico, Canada, Eu...
Ray Pfortner loves teaching and photography and has been doing both for over 20 years — in New York City, Seattle and California. He’s worked in photography as an educator, stock agent, editor, consultant and photographer. He was the publishing liaison for the nature photographer Art Wolfe, where...
Videos and materials
Read more about Digital Transformation
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.