Certificate in Nonprofit Executive Leadership
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Indiana University School of Public and Environmental Affairs.Full disclaimer.
Lead and grow your nonprofit
The Certificate in Nonprofit Executive Leadership is a four-course program that will prepare you with the strategic and financial skills needed to further your nonprofit organization’s mission. Through discussions of real-world issues and practical applications, you will build the skills you need to lead a 21st-century nonprofit: governance, accountability, collaboration, compliance, and leadership.
The certificate is offered in partnership with The Fund Raising School at the IU Lilly Family School of Philanthropy.
Financial Analysis for Nonprofit Leaders
Financial position, robustness, and flexibility are all areas that are vitally important for effective nonprofit leadership. Leaders in nonprofit organizations must understand the drivers of these components of financial strength in order to be successful in pursuing their organizational missions.
Through a unique collaboration, this high-quality, innovative, and affordable continuing education course will help you meet your professional goals. This seminar is designed for mid-level and upper-level nonprofit leaders and those aspiring to leadership positions in all areas of the nonprofit sector. The seminar includes topics of particular interest to fundraising professionals. No background in financial management is required.
- Dashboard financial objectives
- Differences between businesses and nonprofits
- Board dynamics
- Financial strategies and revenue mix
- Funding dynamics and the economy
- Financial statements and financial ratio analysis
- Budgeting, long-range financial planning, and policies
- Cash flow management
- Liability and risk management
Nonprofit Management in the 21st Century
This course will provide you with a strong foundation of the legal and managerial responsibilities of nonprofit organizations. One of the biggest challenges facing the nonprofit sector today is the quality of its management and board—therefore, this course engages in topics related to governance, accountability, collaboration, and leadership.
- Leading, managing, and motivating volunteers and staff
- Collaboration activities and partner relations
- Watchdog organizations and the regulatory environment
- Governance models, trends, and options
- Roles and responsibilities of boards of directors
- Public accountability and ethical leadership
Program Evaluation for Mission Impact
Program evaluation is one mechanism for establishing accountability in nonprofit organizations. This course focuses on the techniques and application of evaluation methods to assess the effectiveness of nonprofit programs. Participants will learn evaluation techniques currently used to determine whether nonprofit programs are having the intended effects. Participants will also learn how to develop and implement cutting-edge performance measurement strategies in nonprofit organizations.
- Program evaluation and accountability
- Practical program evaluation techniques
- Performance management strategies for effective and efficient programming
Strategic Planning and Nonprofit Leadership
Strategic planning is essential for the effective leadership and management of nonprofit organizations, particularly in volatile and uncertain operating environments. This course will explore key aspects of building and sustaining a high performance organization through strategic planning. Participants will learn a practical model for conducting successful strategic planning. In the process, participants will create improvement plans for revising and updating existing strategic plans, and create individualized plans for professional growth and development relating to their own leadership styles.
- Leading and managing the process of strategic planning
- Engaging board, staff, and other stakeholders
- Leading and measuring implementation of the strategic plan
You will leave this seminar with clear action steps for refining and sustaining your strategic plan and enhancing your leadership effectiveness. Using an experiential and problem-solving approach, you will be able to answer the following questions:
- How do I improve my strategic plan?
- How do I utilize metrics to achieve desired outcomes?
- How do I improve my own leadership abilities?
- How do I effectively engage people to produce results?
Who should attend
These seminars are designed for mid-level and upper-level nonprofit leaders and those aspiring to leadership positions in all areas of the nonprofit sector. No background in financial management is required.