Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This program is ideal for consumers and producers of healthcare analytics data. As an online healthcare data analytics certificate, it was designed for current and prospective decision-makers who are interested in gaining working knowledge of the topic through participating in a flexible and comprehensive online course, rather than gaining the in-depth knowledge a degree in the field would offer. Participants need little to no background in data science. Groups that might especially benefit from this program are:
- Leadership and business developers looking to expand business impact
- Healthcare professionals new to data analysis and data science
- Analysts or recent graduates new to healthcare
- Healthcare analysts looking to refresh or expand their knowledge
About the course
Data is everywhere in healthcare. Both clinical and non-clinical work relies heavily on data to drive performance and improve outcomes. Having a solid understanding of healthcare analytics is key to making an impact on healthcare organizations. Harnessing the power of healthcare data analytics empowers leaders — in all fields of care, not just in Healthcare Informatics departments — to make data-driven decisions that lead to improved quality, cost, and care. Participants of the Certificate in Healthcare Analytics for Decision-Makers will gain experience contemplating data, determining informed results, and making evidence-based and data-backed decisions. They will learn to ask the right questions, evaluate data collection schemes, and interpret complex data sets from various sources. Expert faculty will demonstrate how to apply theories of statistical models and utilize evaluation methodologies and the program is facilitator-led to ensure student success. In only eight weeks, participants will become empowered to leverage healthcare analytics in their organization, influence important decisions, and achieve better results.
Start Dates Jan, Apr, July, Oct
Duration 8 weeks
The program will equip various healthcare professionals new to analytics, as well as data analysts or recent grads of healthcare informatics and analytics programs new to healthcare, with an understanding for data in a healthcare context. They will learn to make better-informed decisions using hard evidence, thereby improving patient care and business metrics such as readmission rates. This eight-week online healthcare data analytics program carries 16 Continuing Education Units (CEUs).
- Unit 1: Introduction to Descriptive Analytics
- Unit 2: Making Inferences and Practical Probability Theory
- Unit 3: Relationships Amongst Variables: Introduction to Correlation and Regression
- Unit 4: Multiple Regression
- Unit 5: Forecasting
- Unit 6: Framework for Decision-Making
- Unit 7: Finding Optimized Solutions in Healthcare, Part 1
- Unit 8: Finding Optimized Solutions in Healthcare, Part 2
Participants of the Certificate in Healthcare Analytics for Decision-Makers will earn the following skills:
- Ask the correct questions prior to healthcare data collection and analysis, and search for possible alternative explanations upon completion
- Identify biases that may corrupt the decision-making process and develop mechanisms for avoiding those biases
- Use spreadsheets to model mathematics
- Understand practical statistical models that can be used to forecast the future
- Identify significant group differences and gauge the practical value of those differences
- Create rational frameworks to identify, embrace, integrate, and mitigate risk in the decision-making process
- Understand mathematical theories of optimization used to determine the best solutions to perplexing problems
- Create accurate, compelling, and convincing presentations to ensure implementation of analysts’ recommendations
Dr. Samuel L. Seaman is professor of Decision Sciences in the Graziadio Business School. He teaches graduate courses in applied statistics and evidence-based decision analysis and has an applied research agenda that focuses on the use of mathematical models to solve dilemmas in economics, finance...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Analytics
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.