Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
People who want to become a certified professional guardian or work on issues related to guardianship.
About the course
Guardianship is about professional advocacy for vulnerable people — those who, for whatever reason, require supported decision-making to determine or communicate safe choices for themselves. Conservatorship involves financial and property decision making authority on behalf of individuals.
In this three-course certificate program, you’ll acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to become an effective guardian and financial conservator for developmentally disabled adults, elderly individuals with diminished capacity, and other adults determined to be incapacitated by the courts. The program fulfills the educational requirements to become a certified professional guardian (CPG) in Washington state.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- Fundamental tasks and responsibilities of guardians and conservators
- The laws governing the guardianship profession
- The rights of vulnerable adults and the ethical issues connected with guardianship and conservatorship
- How to communicate effectively with clients and stakeholders and work with government agencies
- Business practice standards and tools for running an effective guardianship practice
GET HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE
- Participate as a guardian in an online simulation for fictional clients
- Prepare court reports for case-study clients and present them in a mock-court session
- Role-play the types of difficult conversations CPGs can encounter with a client’s family members
After completing her doctoral program in nursing at the University of Washington, Dr. Jamie Shirley has taught on all three of the UW campuses. In addition to her primary appointment as a Teaching Professor at UWB, she has an adjunct appointment in the Department of Bioethics and Humanities in t...
Malinda Frey is the founder and managing partner of Clarity Guardians, a provider of fiduciary and personal representative services including guardianship, trust, probate, case management and attorney-in-fact services throughout Western Washington. Prior to becoming a certified guardian in 2012, ...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.