Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
The Certificate in Business Analysis is designed for practicing professionals and those who are new to the business analysis field. The comprehensive curriculum teaches you vital skills that can be used immediately on the job and may help increase salary potential and career opportunities.
About the course
Gain the analytical and problem-solving skills that keep IT-related projects on track for success while preparing for industry-recognized certification exams.
Villanova University’s 100% online Certificate in Business Analysis courses cover topics vital to the business analysis professional such as requirements stages, strategic business analysis, testing and solution evaluation and Lean and Six Sigma value.
Successfully complete two required courses and one elective to earn your certificate. Each course can help prepare you for the management demands of today’s business leader while providing valuable analytical skills that can be applied inside and outside of the workplace.
Prepare for Certification in Business Analysis
The Certificate in Business Analysis curriculum supports the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge (BABOK® Guide 3.0) and includes test prep questions to help prepare you for the CBAP® (Certified Business Analysis Professional) and CCBA® (Certification of Capability in Business Analysis) certification exams offered by IIBA (International Institute of Business Analysis). A professional Certificate in Business Analysis combined with industry certification can help establish your expertise and leadership skills in the eyes of potential employers.
What You’ll Learn
Villanova’s Business Analysis certificate program helps professionals determine business requirements that drive IT-related projects. Ideal for anyone involved in analyzing and problem solving, this business analysis certificate helps you identify, analyze and design processes to improve the overall flow of information within your company.
Essentials of Business Analysis
If you’re involved in eliciting, analyzing and defining project requirements, Essentials of Business Analysis could be a valuable course to help build your expertise. This eight-week course teaches business analysts, managers and professionals to identify, analyze and design processes that improve the overall flow of information within a company.
You will gain skills to determine the business requirements that drive IT-related projects, plus learn how to maintain an effective information system to ensure timely delivery of cost-effective products.
What You’ll Study
Planning for Requirements
- Introduction to the BABOK Guide
- Stakeholders in Business Analysis
- Understanding needs
- Predictive vs. Adaptive Methodologies
- Complexity and Risk
- Business Analyst Role
- Stakeholder Identification and Analysis
- Requirements Reuse
- Managing requirements changes and approvals
- Planning and Communication for Business Analysts
- Assessing Business Analysis Performance
- Business Analysis Governance
Eliciting Requirements and Working With Stakeholders
- Elicitation Tasks
- Determining Elicitation Techniques:
- Individual Elicitation Techniques
- Workshop techniques
- Understanding the scope of elicitation
- Guiding the elicitation activity
- Communicating elicitation results
Requirements Lifecycle Management
- Requirements Analysis and Prioritization
- Allocating and Tracing Requirements
- Approving Requirements
- How to combine waterfall and agile approaches
- Analyze Current State
- Determining Business Needs
- Assessing the current state
- Defining the Future State
- Understanding Business Goals and Objectives
- Defining Solution Scope
- Defining Assumptions and Constraints
- Defining Potential Value
- Assessing Risks
- Defining Change Strategy
Requirements Analysis and Design
- Specifying and Modeling Requirements
- Requirements Attributes
- Implementing appropriate levels of abstraction
- Analyzing Requirements
- Verifying Requirements
- Generating quality requirements
- Evaluating Requirements
- Defining Requirements Architecture
- Identifying Design Options
- Analyzing Potential Value
- Solution Recommendation
- Determine Solution Performance Measures
- Measure Solution Performance
- Assessing Solution Limitations
- Assessing Enterprise Limitations
- Recommending Actions to Increase Solution Value
Mastering Business Analysis
The Mastering Business Analysis course builds upon critical concepts learned in the first course, Essentials of Business Analysis. Designed to strengthen existing skills and expand your knowledge of the techniques necessary to become an effective business analyst, the course explores advanced topics in quality management, testing, verification and validation that can be applied immediately, on the job.
Learn from industry experts and dive into real world examples and case studies, as well as graphics, animated exercises and interactive features to maximize your learning experience.
With regular updates, this course continually supports the latest version of BABOK® 3.0 and includes test prep questions to prepare you for the CBAP®and CCBA® certifications.
What You’ll Study
Strategic Business Analysis
- Defining the Business Problem and Requirements
- Assessing Organizational Gaps
- Developing a Business Case
- Business Rules and Requirements Reuse
- BA as Strategist
Facilitation to Induce Creativity
- Why Creativity?
- From Business Need to Creative Solution
- Generating Creative Ideas
- Analyzing, Refining and Evolving Ideas
- Decide, Innovate!
- Business Analyst as Creative Leader and Innovative Team Leader
The Role of the BA in Quality and Requirements Management
- Quality Basics
- How Quality Fits Into Requirements and Analysis
- Requirements Management and the CMMI
- Assessing the Solution and Organizational Readiness
- Developing Transition Requirements
- Solution Validation and Ongoing Quality
- Requirement Changes Throughout the Project
- Timeboxing – Limit Scope and Increase Quality
- Using Traceability
Lean and Six Sigma for Business Analysts
- Introduction to Lean and Six Sigma
- What is Lean and Six Sigma?
- Lean Tools and the War on Waste
- Key Lean Foundation Concepts
- The Principles of 5S
- Error Proofing, Kaizen, Changeover Reduction
- Value Stream Mapping
- The DMAIC Model and Tollgate Reviews
- Six Sigma Tools and the War on Defects
- QFD, FMEA, and SIPOC
- Flow Chart, Pareto Chart and Fishbone Diagrams
- Variation and Histograms
- New Quality Management Tools
Testing Concepts for the Business Analyst
- Why Does the BA Need to Learn About Testing?
- Basics of Black Box (Requirements-Based) Tests
- Test Oracles and Equivalence Partitioning
- Boundary Value Analysis
- Test Planning
8 Week Course
Strategic Business Analysis
- Illustrate how to quantify a problem’s boundaries by assembling problem objectives
- Drive the direction and propel the value of a project by using objectives
- Develop strategies based on SWOT analysis
- Wield cost-benefit and feasibility analysis tools to forge a business case
- Determine how to use projects as a strategic tool to build innovations
Facilitation to Induce Creativity
- Determine how to lead in capitalizing and leveraging complexities into creative solutions for businesses
- Explore techniques and models to nurture movement from a business need to a creative solution
- Identify how to foster creativity by working with groups
- Define divergent and convergent thinking perspectives
Investigate the elements of a creative team
Essentials of Business Intelligence 8 Week Course
Essentials of Business Process Management 8 Week Course
Enjoy the Benefits of the Online Program
- Graphics, animated exercises and interactive features to maximize the learning experience
- Continuing support of the latest Business Analysis Body of Knowledge® (BABOK® Guide 3.0) from IIBA®
- Additional industry experts, content, examples and case studies to meet the pertinent needs of today's industry professional
- Added support of the Certification of Capability in Business Analysis™ (CCBA®) and Certified Business Analysis Professional™ (CBAP®) certification from IIBA®
Instructor-led courses including online streaming lectures, virtual discussion boards and interactive virtual live weekly class sessions make this online business analysis certificate program both comprehensive and convenient. Obtaining a Certificate in Business Analysis demonstrates a solid understanding of core business analysis skills and illustrates career dedication.
IIBA®, the IIBA® logo, BABOK® and Business Analysis Body of Knowledge® are registered trademarks owned by International Institute of Business Analysis. CBAP® and CCBA® are registered certification marks owned by International Institute of Business Analysis. Certified Business Analysis Professional, Certification of Capability in Business Analysis, Endorsed Education Provider, EEP and the EEP logo are trademarks owned by International Institute of Business Analysis.
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.