Who should attend
Individuals who want a practical foundation in professional audio production, including those that want to enter or advance in the field.
About the course
Develop Your Audio Engineering Skills
When you marvel at the sound of the latest hit song, popular video game or Hollywood blockbuster film, you are enjoying the work of audio engineers. These sound wizards use cutting-edge tools and technologies to produce audio that enthralls and entertains us in a variety of ways.
In this three-course certificate program, you’ll explore the technical principles and creative skills required to complete professional sound projects. We’ll study the basics of editing, mixing, storage media and the mastering process. You’ll get experience with acoustics, microphones and analog and digital recording, and you'll apply your knowledge to create a pro-quality audio project for music or film.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- The physics and terminology of sound
- Elements of sound production, including signal processing, MIDI and synchronization
- Techniques for multi-track recording and overdubs
- Software-based production techniques to create digital audio files
- Complete a music production or film/video post-production project
- Practice in a professional sound studio and learn to use sophisticated audio recording software, including Pro Tools
- Take field trips to local sound studios
- Participate in special Saturday sessions on plug-ins and location sound for film and video
Scot Charles is an award-winning sound designer and engineer. He’s worked as a location sound mixer on feature films, documentaries and commercials, as well as an audio post-studio mixer. Over his career, he’s done live concert mixing for such notables as Sarah Vaughan, Tower of Power, Bobby McFe...
Scott Colburn is considered one of Seattle's most versatile producers. His credits span projects as diverse as Mudhoney's heavy rock, Sun City Girls' Cloaven Theatre, the avant-garde sounds of Climax Golden Twins, the ethnic modern classical stylings of Black Cat Orchestra, the reggae of Winston ...
David Miles Huber has written such books as the industry standard text Modern Recording Techniques, The MIDI Manual and Professional Microphone Techniques. He's also a producer and musician in the chill and downtempo genres; his CDs have sold over the million mark. His latest music and collaborat...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.