Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
Do your duties include managing projects? Villanova’s online Applied Project Management certificate program is designed for business leaders, mid-level managers and project managers at all levels who manage one or 100 projects per year.
This comprehensive program is perfect for project managers and those who wish to become project managers, as well as IT professionals, Six Sigma and other quality control managers, business leaders and team leaders, mid-level and senior managers, and those who wish to obtain critical knowledge and skills to earn PMP® or CAPM® certification.
About the course
Become an Expert in Project Management While Preparing for the PMP® or CAPM® Certification Exam
Gain the project management technical skills to execute successful projects, and the soft skills to communicate effectively, manage conflict and gain project support.
Featuring curriculum that supports A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK)® Guide, Sixth Edition, Villanova University’s Certificate in Applied Project Management will teach you practical management principles, people-based project management approaches and key project measurement and management tools to help you make an immediate impact on the success of projects you lead.
Earning this three-course certificate demonstrates a commitment to your profession and helps you prove to leaders that you’ve become an expert in your field.
Prepare for Project Management Certification
Your certificate helps prepare you for the PMP® or CAPM® certification exam offered by the Project Management Institute (PMI). Test yourself with 1,000 questions based on the knowledge areas of the PMP® and CAPM® exam and further prepare with a comprehensive study guide and 500 flash cards.
Essentials of Project Management
The Essentials of Project Management course will give you the practical knowledge, tools, and confidence to succeed in the dynamic field of project management. Whether you’re overseeing a project, are part of a project team, or are just starting to explore project management as a career path, you’ll learn best practices following PMI’s PMBOK® Guide – Sixth Edition.
Essentials of Project Management offers you a critical introduction to the practice of project management, blending theory with practical examples and case studies.
Essentials serves as a stepping-stone to a Certificate in Applied Project Management, and to industry-recognized, tested professional certification such as a Project Management Professional (PMP)® certification or a Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® certification.
What You’ll Learn
- Foundational project management knowledge, including an overview of the discipline and profession of Project Management
- Tools that can be used in day-to-day jobs, including strategies for planning and balancing project work
- Applied knowledge through hands-on case study activities, including hands-on experience starting and running a project
- Discussion and activities focused on executing, controlling, and closing the project
- Approaches to communicating the strategic value of projects
4 Week Course
What are Projects?
- Projects are Everywhere
- Evolution of the Profession
- Projects vs. Operations
- Process Groups and Project Life Cycles
- Project Charters & Business Cases
Building Successful Projects
- Characteristics of Successful Projects
- Characteristics of Successful Project Managers
- Roles and Responsibilities of Project Team Members
- Building a Project Team
Mastering Project Management
Intended for a project manager with experience, this course builds upon the fundamentals explored in Essentials of Project Management. It focuses on strengthening skills previously developed and expanding skills to explore more advanced topics like: leadership, project performance management and the core competencies of project management.
Advanced study includes plan development and performance management to aid in project planning, scheduling and measuring results. Interpersonal or soft skills are emphasized throughout to ensure project-management success through people-management success.
What You’ll Learn
Project Plan Development
- Introduction to Project Plan Development
- Collect Requirements
- Create Work Breakdown Structure
- Plan Quality
- Develop Schedule
- Estimate Costs
- Plan Communications
- Identify Risks
- Plan Procurement
- Scope Baseline
- The Project Management Plan
People-Based Project Management
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
- Scoring the Instrument and Interpreting the Results
- The Dimensions
- The Sixteen Types and the Temperaments
- Recognizing the Type in Others
- Acknowledging the Differences
- Communication and Personality Type
- Personality in Teams
- Creating a Project Management Culture
- Project Management Maturity
- The ROI of Project Management
- Introduction to Maximizing Influence
- Planning and Initiation
- Project Execution
- Metrics and Resolution
Project Performance Management
- Direct and Manage Project Execution
- Scope, Schedule, and Cost Monitoring
- Earned Value Measurement Methods
- Variances and Indexes
- Recovery Metrics and Responses
Practical Project Management
- Emotional Intelligence for Project Managers
- Identifying and Understanding Emotions
- Understanding the Project Environment
- How Healthy is Your Team?
- Corporate Trust
- Stress Management
- Motivating Project Teams
- Motivational Strategies and Tactics
- Developing a Coherent Plan
- Navigating a Diverse Landscape
- Managing Diversity and Inclusion
- Gender and Project Management
- The Global Landscape
One Elective Course
Essential Principles of Agile Management 8 Week Course
Essentials of Business Process Management 8 Week Course
Finance & Accounting for the Non-Financial Manager 8 Week Course
Maximizing Team Effectiveness 8 Week Course
Project Management Capstone 8 Week Course
Project Management Professional (PMP)® Exam Preparation 8 Week Course
Seeing is Believing with Interactive Features
- Test-prep questions for PMP® and CAPM® industry certifications from PMI
- Acclaimed faculty members who are project management experts
- Case studies use animation to enhance the student experience and engagement within the program
- Animated exercises demonstrate and gauge learning progress
- Many “thought questions” are sprinkled throughout the courses to maximize engagement and knowledge retention
Read more about Project management
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.