Who should attend
Professionals in any field who need to write long-form documents for work.
About the course
Documents are the currency for exchanging ideas. Organizations of all kinds rely on long-form documents like reports, proposals, research papers and narratives to share ideas, articulate their vision and strategy, communicate plans and lead change. Knowing how to write well is an essential leadership skill.
In this course, you'll learn what constitutes good business writing and how to write effective documents that are rich and articulate. We'll explore different kinds of business documents and focus on the importance of structure and keeping readers at the center of any writing. Drawing on reader science, you’ll learn how to write persuasively and make your documents intuitive and readable without simplifying your ideas and losing pertinent details. Get plenty of practice writing documents and incorporating feedback from your instructor and peers.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- How to choose the right structure and style for your document
- How to design and organize content with your audience in mind
- Best practices for clear, concise and effective writing
- Ways to use visual elements such as analytics, graphics and white space to enhance readability
- How to compare and contrast writing styles and develop your own voice as a writer
GET HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE
- Propose, design and write up to four long-form documents
- Practice editing your own work with a critical eye and collaborating with others
Jen Koogler is a senior editor and proposal coordinator at earth science and engineering firm Aspect Consulting. Her technical editing duties range from proofreading memos and contracts to editing 100+ page reports documenting remediation strategies to clean up contaminated soil at the site of a ...
Mike Maisen has more than 20 years’ experience in business writing and technical communications. He leads a technical editing and writing team at Aspect Consulting that produces more than 1,000 technical deliverables, including long- and short-form business reports and competitive proposals annua...
Read more about Business Analytics
Read more about Business Communication
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.