Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Western Ontario University.Full disclaimer.
About the course
Learn how marketing, finance, production and human resources blend into a cohesive plan that provides a directional focus for your organization. Discover how to develop and maintain a strategy for sustainable performance. Look at the “big picture” and address the challenges involved in drafting a strategic plan.
- The key attributes of strategic management
- Performing an external environmental scan to see trends and events in the general environment
- How the internet is disrupting industry structures
- The relationship between a firm’s strategy and a firm’s structure
At the completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Enumerate and understand the essence and definitions of strategy, the key attributes of strategic management, and competitive advantages
- Perform an external environmental scan and know how trends and events in the general environment and forces in competitive environment are interrelated and affect performance
- Execute an internal analysis using various frameworks to gain insights into how individual activities are interrelated as well as how they create, add value and maintain a sustainable advantage for the firm
- Recognize the vital role of technology and understand the key role of social capital in leveraging knowledge and human capital
- Develop unique strategies and understand how the successful attainment of generic strategies while considering the industry life cycle can improve a firm’s relative power vis-à-vis the five forces that determine an industry’s average profitability
- Appreciate why firms engage in diversification efforts and how corporations use related and unrelated diversification to achieve synergistic benefits through various corporate level strategic methodologies
- Understand the two opposing forces—cost reduction and adaptation to local markets—that firms face when entering international markets and explicate the advantages and disadvantages associated with each of the four basic strategies for achieving competitive advantage in global markets
- Comprehend and clarify how the internet is disrupting industry structures and how internet technologies are affecting the five competitive forces as well as how and why firms are using ebusiness strategies to add value and achieve unique advantage and their competitive position
- Understand the relationship between a firm’s strategy and a firm’s structure as well as their relative advantages and disadvantages of each type of organizational structure
- Explain why there is no “one best way” to design strategic control systems and how the most effective systems are contingent on situational factors and the organization’s specific strategic choices and the role governance plays in ensuring that the interests of managers align with those of shareholders
- Describe the crucial role of emotional intelligence, ethics, and a leader’s role in establishing successful leadership in creating and maintaining a learning organization.
- Understand how corporations create an internal environment and culture that promotes entrepreneurial development in successfully pursuing and supporting new ventures in achieving
Trust the experts
☛ Vision ☛ Passion ☛ Strategy and Success Transforming visibility, expanding market footprint and delivering transparent measureable results. I am a resourceful Canadian CPA, CMA delivering excellence in strategic financial management, business development, forecasting, and financial modeling. ...