Who should attend
Students from all educational backgrounds welcome.
About the course
Business process mapping is a critical activity for creating information required to enable effective performance analysis and improvement. This course will introduce the practical skills needed to map, document, assess, and reformulate business processes. Through interactive discussion and hands-on exercises, participants may gain an understanding of process mapping applications in business process management and tools and skills for conducting business process discovery, analysis and design. Students are encouraged to utilize their own process examples for in-class exercises.
Course at a glance
- Aimed at managers, team leads, project team members, and business analysts who are actively working toward improving their organizational performance.
- In-class, face-to-face delivery.
- A practical two-day workshop based on lectures, discussions, and hands-on activities.
- Acquire the skills needed to map, document, assess, and reformulate business processes.
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Recognize business process modeling techniques and model hierarchies.
- Apply basic process mapping tools and techniques to map a business process.
- Identify ways to leverage business process maps.
- Identify commonly used process symbols.
- Recognize mapping guidelines and skill steps to map a business process.
- Discuss the importance of stakeholder perspectives, elicitation techniques, and choosing mapping targets for process mapping.
- Develop a basic approach for successfully mapping a process for a business unit.
- Recognize the difference between verification and validation of business process maps.
- Distinguish three types of process flows.
- Recognize the approach for a large-scale business process mapping initiative.
- Distinguish process enablers.
- Identify steps for designing and mapping a future state process.
- Recognize different process improvement methods.
- All reading materials will be available through eClass, the University of Alberta’s eLearning management tool.
- Students are encouraged to bring their laptops to view materials and create maps.
- This is an attendance-basis, non-graded course.
David has been an associate with Performance Group since 2011. He is an accomplished program and project manager with key strengths in organizational alignment, operations and performance planning and management and quality improvement. He has extensive experience with core services reviews, orga...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.