Comprehensive course analysis
About the course
Build a solid business foundation to advance your career
The Business Management Certificate is a four-month work-compatible program that curates key business principles and leadership skills for advancing your career. It is ideal for early to mid-career professionals who want to lead projects and teams more effectively.
Topics covered include marketing, business strategy, finance, accounting, people management, leadership, communication skills, and the tools to work through complex business problems and expertly present your solution.
This accelerated program will help you gain new skills and expand your professional network, adding to your competitive edge and your ability to adapt to today’s economy.
- Be able to assess a situation from a long-term perspective and make decisions based on alternatives and justifications.
- Evaluate the core competencies and competitive advantages that drive the success of a firm.
- Consider what opportunities and challenges will impact the future of your business.
- Recognize customer needs and learn how to best market your product or service.
- Understand your customers and how best to reach them.
- Discover product, branding, promotion, and segmentation strategies.
- Evaluate the impact of environmental factors that affect marketing strategies.
- Explore and develop critical leadership attributes, qualities, skills, and competencies needed to create and sustain dynamic organizational success.
- Develop the managerial skills to facilitate transforming your organization and creating a culture of shared responsibility.
- Improve your understanding of effective decision making as a means of creating an achievement-oriented culture.
Finance and Accounting
- Learn about financial statements and accounting principles that guide financial reporting.
- Use financial data for planning, decision-making and financial reporting.
- Enhance your understanding of finance principles and practices, including cash flow analysis, capital budgeting, risk, and return.
- Learn about stocks, bonds and return on investment metrics.
Communications and Soft Skills
- Explore how communications and soft skills impact your leadership and team interactions.
- Understand the nuances of cultural differences as they relate to teamwork, negotiation, and leadership.
- Improve your presentation skills.
Business Case Analysis
- The program concludes with a business case competition. You will work in a team to use the skills you gained throughout the program and apply them toward a real-life business problem, presenting your team’s solution to the class.
GAIN HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE
The program ends with a capstone project. Participants work in teams to take what they learn in the course and apply it in a case competition, presenting a solution to a realworld business problem.
Education MBA University of Washington (1980) BA University of Washington (1978) Academic Expertise global business international marketing marketing management marketing strategy sales Industries Retail & Wholesale Telecommunications Positions Held At University of Washington since 19...
Education MA Stanford University (1980) BA Rice University (1979) Positions Held At the University of Washington since 2008 Visiting Professional in Residence, Seattle University, 2008-2009 Special Correspondent and Producer, Jim Lehrer News Hour, Washington DC, 1984-present Senior Producer/Re...
Diane has more than 25 years of experience as a finance, accounting, and operational executive and has served as CFO in a number of dynamic, rapid growth environments. Diane's strong operational management skills have resulted in the improvement of organizational structures and financial manageme...
Seasoned 25 year expert on university-based executive education, working with public and private organizations globally to help with their growth strategies by developing their leadership and management bench strengths. Her extensive understanding of different cultures and proficiency in English,...
Baesler received a B.A. (summa cum laude) and a M.A. in accounting from Brigham Young University in 1990 and has taken additional Ph.D. studies in accounting at Foster Business School. She is a lecturer in accounting in the Foster Business School She also is a clinical assistant professor, Health...
Rick McPherson started teaching in the UW Foster School of Business in 2006 following a 25-year career in business that included serving as a vice president at T-Mobile and at AT&T Broadband and as a partner in a small consulting firm. He has been a leader of various aspects of seven differen...
Chelley Patterson has 25-plus years of experience working with domestic, global, private and nonprofit organizations focusing on leadership development, innovative team performance, change management and strategic planning. She was a member of the collaborative research team that designed and con...
Videos and materials
Read more about General Management Programs
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.