Who should attend
This programme is for senior staff of NHS providers, chairs and chief operating officers of clinical commissioning groups, directors of public health, and experienced senior directors and clinical leads working in an ICS, sustainability and transformation partnership or place-based leadership team who really want to maximise the opportunities of working with peers across an ICS or integrated care partners.
About the course
Integration and collaboration are central features of current health care policy. The NHS long-term plan has confirmed this by stating that all parts of England will be covered by an integrated care system (ICS) by 2021.
Integrated care systems and other place-based developments require NHS leaders and staff to shift their ways of working and adopt a more collaborative style. This is no easy task in a financially constrained environment.
How will you benefit from this programme?
- gain knowledge of models and conceptual frameworks that support a more collaborative style of leadership
- have the opportunity to identify at an individual level how they will make a tangible difference as a collaborative leader in their local health and social care system
- develop strategies to help them overcome local challenges that may be hindering a more collaborative operating model
- gain a better understanding of different organisational perspectives
- have the opportunity to participate in a national network with other NHS and social care leaders.
What will you do on this programme?
The programme will provide you with protected space to develop the skills and behaviours associated with a more collaborative style of leadership and to explore the style, culture and behaviours within your own organisation and your local health and care system.
You will have a telephone conversation with the programme director four to six weeks before the programme begins to identify your personal goals and ambitions; this information will be used to design the detailed content of the programme. The programme will run over seven months and comprises four modules – one two-day module (module one) and three one-and-a-half-day modules (modules two, three and four).
There will be a maximum of 16 participants.
Previous contributors have included:
- Rt Hon Jacqui Smith, Chair, University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
- Professor Sir Chris Ham, former Chief Executive, The King's Fund
- Baroness Dido Harding, Chair, NHS Improvement
- Mark Devlin, Chief Operating Officer, Unicef UK
Module one: Defining you and the system
- Exploring the different organisational interests and perspectives in your system
- Agreeing principles for working collaboratively
- Examining the local ‘dialogue’ and what you may do to shift stuck patterns of behaviour
Module two: System and place-based leadership
- Developing a collaborative leadership mindset
- Enhancing your dialogue skills
- Identifying core leadership capabilities for working across ‘place’
- Clarifying the shared purpose for working together
Module three: Power, politics and decision-making
- Understanding the neuroscience behind our behaviour
- Exploring the difference between old power and new power...
- Designing decision-making processes and holding ‘generative’ conversations to produce tangible change
- Creating conditions to support collaboration
Module four: Building and developing your collective impact
- Co-ordinating and collaborating across organisational boundaries in the absence of stable structures
- Operating models across and within organisations to support greater collaboration
- Designing your own model of collaborative leadership
Nicola has worked in and with the NHS for more than 25 years first as a clinician, then as a researcher and more recently as an organisational development (OD) specialist. She has also worked in the strategy unit at the Department of Health and held various non-executive and trustee positions in...
Stephanie is a highly experienced facilitator and coach who has worked exclusively over the past 20 years in the development of senior executives at a one-to-one and group level. She has director-level experience and insight and knowledge of various industry sectors, in particular the financial...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.