Who should attend
- Any manager seeking to justify an investment via a business case
- Project managers, business analysts and other staff responsible for authoring business cases
- Finance, audit and other governance roles responsible for reviewing business cases
About the course
The ability to write a compelling business case is a core competency for effective managers. A business case is a critical requirement before committing to projects, new products or other investments. It is also an argument that needs to convince the recipient to invest in this undertaking rather than others.
Rigorous business case preparation:
- Reduces the risk of poorly targeted or poorly executed projects
- Improves strategic alignment of investments
- Increases the probability of achieving expected returns
This practical and interactive short course is structured around group-based workshop sessions. Attendees may have real projects or investments that they wish to work through on the course. Teams will be formed around these projects. Several case studies, across a range of different project and investment types, will also be available for those who do not have their own examples to use. We will cover:
- Selecting the team and planning the process of developing the business case
- Defining the problem or opportunity
- Exploring options and selecting a solution
- Developing the benefits argument
- Building the justification – financial and qualitative
- Selling the proposition – effective presentation and writing skills
The course will include coverage of relevant concepts and frameworks through structured presentations. These will be supported by practical examples and consideration of topical issues, using case studies and group discussion. A template of a generic business case document will be provided for attendees to customise and implement back at their place of work
- Understand the business case process and how to logically tackle it
- Improve your ability to present your arguments in a compelling and convincing manner
- Develop the capacity to critically review and evaluate business cases
Your organisational will:
- Develop business cases with a clearer understanding of senior management expectations
- Target investments with reduced risk and improved strategic alignment
- Achieve improved efficiency in organisational decision-making.
Rob Verkerk has more than 30 years’ operational management, project management, event management and consulting experience. He is the Managing Director of Scope Services Ltd, a project management consultancy and training organisation. Rob is currently actively engaged in major project management...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.