Budgeting and Accounting: Making the Connection
Gaining a deep understanding and insight into Federal budgeting and accounting is challenging for accountants and budgeteers alike. Eliminate your insecurities about the requirements of Federal budgeting and accounting with an introduction to these functions, as well as their integration into the Federal financial management process. Through a discussion-based class where you will share experiences with others in similar roles, you will learn about these concepts to improve your approach to financial management.
- Make the connection between budgeting and accounting
- Apply budget and accounting terminology appropriately
- Track budgetary and proprietary accounting transactions through the budget execution process
- Describe the use of the U.S. Government Standard General Ledger account structure
- Relate budget obligations to agency assets, liabilities, and expenses
- Determine unfunded budget requirements from accounting reports
- Improve budget estimating with accounting information
Federal Budget Process
- What Is a Budget?
- Why Do We Budget?
- Legal Foundations in the Federal Government
- What Do We Budget For?
- Phases of the Federal Budget Process
- Agency Funds and Resources
- Optional Exercise: Overview of Budgeting and Accounting
Introduction to Federal Accounting
- What Is Accounting?
- Accounting Cycle
- Accounting in the Federal Government
Budgetary and Proprietary Accounting
- Budgetary Accounting Process
- Tracking Reimbursable Authority
- Why Proprietary Accounting?
- Basic Proprietary Accounting Equation
- Expanded Proprietary Accounting Equation
- Normal Balances
- Integrating Budgetary and Proprietary Accounting
- Accrual Basis of Accounting
Federal Financial Reporting
- Objectives of Federal Financial Reporting
- Expanded Financial Reporting
- Content of Agency Financial Statements
- Principal Statements
- Using Financial Reports
- Government Performance and Results Act Modernization Act of 2010
- High-Performance Government
Making the Connection
- Making the Connection
Who should attend
This course is designed for participants from several different backgrounds: accountants who want insight into Federal budgeting, budgeters who want insight into Federal accounting, and systems people who want a basic understanding of Federal budgeting and accounting to implement new financial systems.