Who should attend
This programme is aimed at directors (executive and non-executive), as well as company secretaries of banks.
About the course
This programme exposes directors of banks to corporate governance, risk management, regulation, management structures and Basel III. A robust financial background, an impeccable understanding of business principles and firm ethics are just some of the requirements for an effective member of a bank board.
This two day programme seeks to ensure that members of a bank board keep abreast of latest developments in corporate governance, risk management, regulation, management structures and Basel III.
How you will benefit
- Gain insight into Basel 3 and King IV™;
- Unpack corporate governance and ethics in business – what does it mean?;
- Learn how to effectively discharge your duties as a director and the incumbent legal responsibilities thereof;
- Gain the skills to effectively review the results and report to stakeholders; and
- Discuss risk, governance and management structures.
Day 1: Corporate Governance, Risk Management & Regulation
- An overview of different banking models & associated risks, regulation, risk management & corporate governance
- Non-executive directors’ responsibilities in terms of King IV™ and the Banks Act;
- A practical guide to non-executive directors’ responsibilities
- Introduction to Basel lll
- The Companies Act and Non-executive directors’ responsibilities
Day 2: Risk Management, Governance, Conduct and Compliance
- Introduction to risk management responsibilities for NED’s
- An overview of market risk, credit risk, liquidity risk, interest rate risk, operational risk and compliance risks
- Evaluating risk management effectiveness: what to expect from leadership – key considerations when overseeing culture and conducting risk programmes
- What to expect from information technology, enterprise risk, compliance and internal audit functions
- Transitioning to IFRS 9.
Profile Morris joined the GIBS faculty in January 2014 as a lecturer in the leadership cluster. Morris has been reading for his doctorate at GIBS since January 2013, focusing on corporate governance and sustainability. Prior to 2013, Morris was a chief executive of a large investment management ...
Videos and materials
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.