Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
- Professionals, managers or executives without experience as board directors that aim to serve in a corporate governance role
- Family members and controlling shareholders of boards of small and medium family companies
- Executive of government and non-profit organisations and agencies. Professionals from the institutional investment community
- Senior Executives (CEO, COO, CFO, CIO etc.)
About the course
The Aspiring Directors Programme is a five-day programme that helps high potential professionals, managers or executives preparing for their first board mandate to acquire the knowledge base that directors are expected to master, and which form the basis of effective board membership.
Being a board member today is a very different role from being a senior executive and brings with it added complexity and unique responsibilities which are different from other management and operational roles To successfully carry out a board mandate, directors must have a general overview of a company’s operational activities and corporate governance, including an understanding of its exposure to risk and strategic direction.
Through its Corporate Governance Centre, INSEAD’s Aspiring Directors Programme aims to answer the fundamental questions, such as: What are the main institutions, roles and processes in corporate governance?, How best can directors exercise their responsibilities in the boardroom?
Board members continually face new challenges like diversity, sustainability and digital advancements. Dynamic and immersive learning allows participants to understand the essential areas of the board - such as, architecture, structure, processes and the job market – allowing participants to progress into a board position with confidence.
How you benefit
- Understand the broader context in which boards operate and the responsibilites that come with a director mandate
- Gain an overview of the knowledge and competencies expected from directors in today's environment
- Engage with topical issues such as the growing impact of digital technology on strategy and organisations, and on the role of the board
- Develop director-specific competencies that contribute to the creation of a high-performing board
Aspiring Directors Programme is built around the following major themes:
- Understanding the broader context in which boards operate and the responsibilites that come with a director mandate
- Gaining an overview of the knowledge and competencies expected from directors in today's environment
- Engaging with topical issues such as the growing impact of digital technology on strategy and organisations, and on the role of the board
- Developing director-specific competencies that contribute to the creation of a high-performing board
The programme will focus on the following fundamentals:
- What is corporate governance?
- Understanding the main corporate governance systems
- What are the main institutions, roles and processes in corporate governance?
- How best can directors exercise their responsibilities in theboardroom?
- Understanding the different types of directors
- Board fundamentals: responsibility and effectiveness
- Board dynamics, efficiency
- Board structure and the role of committees
- Learn finance literacy for directors
- Understanding the job market for board directors
- What are the new challenges for directors: diversity, sustainability, digital, etc.
Jose Luis Álvarez is Senior Affiliate Professor of Organisational Behaviour at INSEAD. He teaches in the MBA Program (where he received three times the Best Teacher Award) and mostly in executive education programmes, where he has also received several teaching and directing recognitions. He serv...
Videos and materials
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.