About the course
Art as a Global Business: Dynamics of the Art Market reveals the networks, concepts, and specialized terminology of the often-secretive international art market and offers an introduction to the commercial structures through which art flows. Course discussions outline how these commercial structures relate to each other and analyze the people, institutions, and organizations that comprise art business. Lastly, by emphasizing the effects of pricing, value formation, and globalization on the art market, course lectures will assist you in understanding and identifying the risks and challenges that contribute to the ever-changing nature of the commercial art world.
You will learn
- To identify and describe the structure, size and dynamics of the global art market.
- To evaluate and critique art market activities in mainstream, emerging, and growth economies.
- To assess the complex relationships among key players in the art market as related to the production, circulation, and cultural endorsement of artworks.
- To recognize the opportunities, challenges, and risks inherent in the global art market.
Week 1: Introduction to the Art Market
- The Composition of the Art Market
- Size of the Art Market
Week 2: Sales Channels
- Primary and Secondary Market
- Auction Market and New Markets
Week 3: Consumption of Art
- Collecting – Changing Patterns in Wealth
- Conspicuous Consumption and Demand for Art
Week 4: Validation Process
- Institutional Endorsements: The Value of Art
- Museum vs. Auction House
Week 5: The Artist
- Artist Markets
- Trends: Rights and Protections Available to Artists
Week 6: Opportunities Challenges and Risk in the art Market
- Challenges and Risks in the Art Market
- The Importance of Conservation
- Market Insights – Industry Voices on the Outlook of the Art Market
MA, Sotheby's Institute of Art, London; BA, La Universidad de Los Andes Francesca Bellini-Joseph is a London-based art expert, collector and entrepreneur. Bellini-Joseph is a member of the Tate Museum’s Latin American Acquisition Committee, Tate Gold Patrons Ambassador and Patron of The Royal Ac...
Read more about Digital Transformation
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.