Appropriations Law for Federal Grants
The Red Book (Principles of Federal Appropriations Law) and the budget process impact the implementation and administration of Federal grants. You will develop a working knowledge of appropriations law to help you better navigate the grants process. This includes knowing when appropriated funds are available. This is an elective course in the Federal track of the GMCP™.
- Review court cases, GAO decisions, and statutes relating to issues such as First Amendment limits on congressional authority and lapse of budget authority
- Explore how an agency identifies and deals with each of the "availability" requirements
Agency Authorization and Appropriations
- Key Terms of Agency Authorization and Appropriations
- The Constitutional Basis for Monetary Grants
- The Budget and Appropriation Process
Rules Governing Funds Availability
- Statutory Availability Rules
- Obligation of Funds
- Principles of Cost Sharing
- Module Capstone: Americorps Obligations
Who should attend
Federal staff who need to understand appropriations law as it applies to grant programs will benefit from this course.