About the course
Develop the key knowledge and skills to start Angel Investing
Angel investing is rising in prominence, with an estimated 3,400 Angel Investors investing 300 million in 2016-17. The last ten years have seen an explosion of people and investment in the Australian technology start up sector. Australia is now one of the fastest growing start-up ecosystems globally.
As angel investors take their rightful position alongside venture capital as a powerful source of financing for high growth companies, there is a growing need for a robust education framework to provide angel investors with the critical tools they need to build a meaningful portfolio.
In partnership with UNSW Founders, the Angel Investors Program presents angel investors with case studies, expert presentations and facilitated discussions designed to help you learn how to successfully identify, evaluate and manage your angel investments.
What you'll learn
The Program focuses on:
- Portfolio theory and construction
- Assessment and due diligence
- Risk involved – investment thesis and start up economics
- How to identify opportunities
- How to speak to a start up
- Role of Angel vs Venture Capital (change over time – e.g. transition of teams)
- Negotiation, term sheets and deal economics
- Start-up ecosystem – where do Angels fit
- Challenges – what are the key risks to mitigate
How you'll learn
Through a blend of facilitated discussions, relevant and current case studies, experiential activities, and shared insights from Australia’s leading angel and investment experts, you will complete the program equipped with the insights, practical tools and frameworks ready for immediate use.
Introduction to Angel Investing
- The start-up ecosystem and emerging trends
- The funding landscape
- Role of Angel Investors – Explore the various types and where they fit
- Understanding your motivation and risk tolerance
- What does success look like?
- Portfolio construction
- Returns and risks
- Tax incentives
- Where to source opportunities
- Personal investment thesis and impact
- Sustainability and diversity
- How to talk to start ups
- Introduction to investment deal terms on a term sheet
- A balanced approach to negotiating deal terms
- Security types used in Angel Investments
- Deal economics, management & control, protection, exits & liquidity
- Valuations: Why valuation matters, methodologies, valuation realities, negotiating valuations
- Introduction to establishing a fair valuation for a start-up company
- Cap Table, projecting cap tables forward, ways companies exit and return capital to investors.
- Thinking about later follow-on rounds
- Some key angel-focused tax items
- Adding value to the start-up (mentoring, coaching and being helpful)
- Venture Capital view of Angels
- Challenges in start-ups (e.g. founder disagreements)
- Funding and mentor match up
- Managing your portfolio (gaps / overlaps / themes / balance)
Jennifer is a senior corporate executive and start-up CEO. She was a senior executive in Microsoft Asia Pacific which grew to $1B in revenue, and worked on MSN 1.0 in the Advanced Technology Team. Jennifer then spent 10 years in Silicon Valley and was the founder & CEO of 5 companies, leading...
Simon Cant is the Co-Founder and Managing Partner of Reinventure. Founded in 2013, Reinventure is a Founder-First Corporate Venture Fund with $150m under management, with Westpac as the primary investor. To date, the portfolio has 25 ventures, which are focused on Fintech and adjacent areas. Sim...
Jerry Stesel is a founding partner of Our Innovation Fund (OIF) and an Investment Committee member, having helped established the firm in 2016. OIF is a leading Australian venture capital firm focussed on technology investments with offices in Sydney and New York and approximately $100 million in...
Garry is an entrepreneur and investor who has started and grown five businesses in a variety of industries. He is a General Partner at Right Click Capital, an investment firm that specialises in identifying and investing in high-growth, early-stage Internet-based businesses; cofounder and Directo...
Benjamin has a track record of investing in and building successful Internet-related businesses over the last twenty years. These include Online Agility, an incubator and developer of online businesses, Jetabroad, one of Australia’s leading online travel companies, and Online Marketing Group. To...
Isabella is an associate of Our Innovation Fund. Isabella is also an angel investor and mentors’ start-ups across several Sydney accelerator programs. Most recently, Isabella was strategy consulting at Boston Consulting Group where she focused on technology and private equity. Isabella graduate...
James joined the AirTree team from Accel Partners, the West Coast headquartered fund behind companies like Facebook, Dropbox, Slack, Etsy and Atlassian. At Accel Jame’s focus was on early stage companies in software, infrastructure, fintech and marketplaces, including Weaveworks, Simplivity (acqu...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.