Comprehensive course analysis
- What do past participants have to say about the course?
- How many participants were promoted within three years after graduation?
- How did this course affect participants' professional trajectories?
- How many participants got their salary increased within two years after completing the program?
- What do past participants have to say about the course?
Who should attend
It’s no secret that a strong leader can make or break an organization. Become a more influential leader by effectively advocating for your ideas and vision.
- Executives and high-level managers in leadership roles
- Professionals responsible for affecting change and driving new initiatives
- High-potential individuals who will assume greater responsibility within their organization
Companies frequently send pairs of individuals, and small teams to this program, as they try to launch and lead new initiatives within their organization. Please contact us if you are interested in sending three or more participants to this program.
About the course
Good ideas don’t sell themselves – they must be sold! Become a more influential leader by developing a better understanding of how to effectively advocate for your ideas and vision.
Acquire the expertise to gain support for your ideas with ease. Analyze how your political intelligence and persuasion acumen affect your success in convincing others to see your vision and support your ideas. Return home from this program knowing how to effectively construct and deliver your message, position and differentiate your ideas, generate loyalty and commitment, and overcome resistance to be more persuasive.
Managing People and Leading Teams
Equip yourself with the strategies and the management savvy to foster highly effective communication and collaboration.
Five-Day Immersive Program (Including Travel Time)
Registration begins at noon on Monday and class begins at 1:00. Class will conclude on Friday at noon. Evening activities and dinner will be included on select evenings and networking lunches will be included Tuesday through Friday.
Enjoy proximity to the vibrancy of the campus and downtown Austin, and the innovative, business-friendly environment of the city.
- Present ideas with impact and impetus
- Develop and implement an internal branding strategy that will build your credibility
- Construct and deliver persuasive messages that work in any context
- Understand how to build and expand your own personal power
- Gain support from your alliances and networks
- Generate loyalty and commitment to a vision from colleagues
- Inspire and spread change throughout your organization to reach common goals
- Engage your team to share responsibilities and eliminate bottlenecks and barriers to good ideas
- Use narratives and stories to communicate a message
- Overcome objections and resistance to persuasion
- Analyze situations and tailor your messages to motivate different audiences
- Show you how to be fluent in multiple techniques for influencing others
- Expand your ability to diagnose the sources of power in your organization
- Improve communication channels which leverage employee knowledge at every level
- Meetings are where the gladiators of business meet: Learn how influential leaders effectively persuade others in meetings
- Confidence makes others see you as competent: How to sound and act competent
- Discover new research findings on effective persuasion
- Decipher how to frame issues to make people want to adopt your ideas
- Flipping the equation: Learn how to say "no" when people are trying to influence you
- Understand the role of power in leading others
- Do you have the performance pitch? Do you think it's only necessary for those running startup companies? Regardless of our background and profession, we all have to "pitch" our ideas. Whatever the reason to pitch, we can learn from the ways startups approach pitching. 3 Day Startup (3DS) will present a session at Capital Factory, located in Austin's downtown innovation zone. You will discover how the startup approach to pitching can be useful in corporate and other contexts. Drawing on the ideas presented, you will then create, deliver, and receive feedback on your pitch.
- To enhance program learning participants will receive a copy of “Advocacy: Championing Ideas and Influencing Others,” Dr. John Daly, Liddell Professor of Communication, TCB Professor of Management, and University Distinguished Teaching Professor at The University of Texas at Austin.
Dr. John Daly (Ph.D., Purdue University, 1977) is the Liddell Centennial Professor of Communication, University Distinguished Teaching Professor, TCB Professor of Management, and an Adjunct Professor of Pharmacy. He has published more than one hundred articles and chapters in scholarly publicatio...
Dr. Gaylen Paulson is Associate Dean and Director for Texas Executive Education, and a faculty member in Department of Management at UT Austin’s McCombs School of Business. His research and teaching focus on how we interact strategically with people, including in negotiations, conflict management...
Associate Professor in the College of Communication and Department of Government Associate Director, Annette Strauss Institute for Life Distinguished Teaching Professor, The University of Texas at Austin PhD, University of Texas at Austin, 2000 MA, University of Arizona BA, University of Califo...
Biography David A. Harrison is the Charles & Elizabeth Prothro Regents Chair of Business Administration at the University of Texas, Austin. He earned a doctorate in social, organizational, and individual differences psychology, along with masters'' degrees in psychology and in applied statist...
Read more about Business Communication
Read more about Entrepreneurship
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.