About the course
Stay current with information from the source you trust and ensure that your organization is benefiting from best practices in HRM and remains compliant with recent legislative changes. As always, this year's Advanced Topics for Certified Human Resources Specialists will provide you with cutting-edge information on “hot topics” in human resources, a review of important court cases, and legislative updates regarding key employment laws.
Learn HR strategies that you can use to meet the challenges, and take advantage of the opportunities facing your organization.
Reconnect with your fellow CHRSs
Share ideas and experiences, and strengthen your professional network!
This year's theme, HR in an Era of Disruption, promises to be an engaging and interactive class, and provides half of your continuing education requirement for recertification (14 credits). Attending the Advanced Topics for Certified Human Resources Specialists annually will fulfill the 28-credit requirement needed to maintain your certification.
Note: This program is open only to Certified Human Resources Professionals.
This year's agenda includes:
- Conducting workplace investigations - 2018 CHRS voter's choice winner!
- Emerging Trends
- Retaining employees and enhancing engagement
- Talent acquisition
- Balancing the tech/human touch balance
- The opioid epidemic: impact on employers and employer responses
- Employment law update
- Preparing for litigation: the deposition
- Putting it all together: strategic planning for HR
- Roundtable discussion: Exploring the issues and sharing best practices
- Welcome, Introductions, and Logistics
- The Impact of the New Administration on HR and Employment Law
- New Trends and Best Practices in HRM, Part One: Diversity, Inclusion, and Implicit Bias
- New Trends and Best Practices in HRM, Part Two: Disaster Recover and Business Continuity
- Leveraging Technology for Long-Term Success and HR's Role in Cybersecurity
- Managing Change
- Welcome Back
- HR Metrics and Analytics
- Peer Feedback and Performance Management
- Preparing for Litigation
- Hot topics roundtable discussion
- HR Strategies for a Multi-Generational Workforce
- Winning Unemployment Insurance Cases
- 30-Day Mail Back and Checkout Exercise
Angela T. Hall, JD, PhD, is an Assistant Professor in the School of Human Resources and Labor Relations at Michigan State University. She received her JD from Florida State University, College of Law and her PhD from Florida State University, College of Business. She has previously been on the fa...
Tina M. Riley, PhD, is an Associate Professor and Associate Director of the School of Human Resources and Labor Relations at Michigan State University (MSU). She is the Director of the School's Human Resource Executive Education program and holds a PhD in Higher, Adult, and Lifelong Education as ...
Jim Walsh, was most recently Vice President Claims at Auto-Owners Insurance. He has spent 44 years in the property casualty insurance business, all related to claim handling in some way. As a field investigator, he managed the Company's position on claims ranging from house fires, to fatal accide...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.