Advanced Organisation Design
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Ashridge Executive Education.Full disclaimer.
This four-day program will give you the tools and frameworks you need to assess, design and implement organization structures that will deliver your strategy, whether you are designing a whole organisation or a department within an organization.
The first two days focus on tools, and we explore the theory behind them. The second two days is for practice. You will use tools on case studies and live situations addressing structure, linking processes, role requirements, decision authorities, accountability and other dimensions of effective organization design. This is an opportunity to improve your skills in an area where most companies fall short.
You will learn:
- The theory and tools of organization design work, including organizational charts, a language for organizational roles and relationships, the nine tests of good organization design and a tool for defining decision responsibilities
- The process of organization design – the steps of analysis, who should be involved, how long it should take, how changes should be communicated and your role in the process
- The methods other participants have used in their business design work.
You will practice your new skills on:
- Case studies (consumer products, health care, manufacturing)
- Live organization issues presented by participants in the room
- A major reorganisation presented by the chief executive of the company
What is unique about this program:
- The faculty: an academic, a consultant and an executive combine to give you three perspectives on this complex topic
- The tools: these are practical tools that have been used in hundreds of assignments by consultants and executives
- The focus on practice: you will be working on real problems from real organisations, including your own
As a participant, you will:
- Lead or contribute to a project team to design a new organization structure for a whole organization or a department
- Analyze an existing organization to assess how well it is aligned to strategy • Develop design principles for a redesign project by reviewing strategic plans and interviewing leaders
- Develop organization options and select the best option using the design principles
- Make adjustments to an organization design to ensure it is fit for purpose
Participants will return to your organization equipped with the theory and tools of organization design work, including the nine tests of good organization design. They will understand the process of organization design – the steps of analysis, who should be involved, how long it should take, how changes should be communicated, and what their role in the process will be. Importantly, they will have awareness of the successful methods other participants have used in their business design work. Your organization will improve performance because of the clarity, motivation, and improved working relationships that result from better organization design.
Who should attend
HR professionals who have been involved in at least two reorganisations, consultants involved in organization design and business design, leaders at any level who anticipate changing their organisation