Who should attend
- All nonprofit leaders, board members and nonprofit managers
- Development directors and marketing directors
- Team members with development responsibilities at nonprofit organizations
- Board members of nonprofit organizations
- Administrative professionals who support the development process
About the course
Now more than ever, nonprofit organizations need their development strategies to be well structured, creative and data-driven. Donor portfolio development and management is crucial in identifying what donors are seeking and how nonprofits can best engage them. Nonprofit organizations not only need an understanding of the donor market, stakeholders and fundraising strategy, but also a strong infrastructure to drive fundraising decisions.
In this program, you will learn how to assess your current fundraising systems, communicate your philanthropic value and leverage data for strategic fundraising. You will also address engaging your board members as brand ambassadors as a means for fundraising. This program will bring in experts from the field to lead you through a rich mix of classroom learning and highly interactive discussions.
- Perform a fundraising infrastructure audit and assess your organization's fundraising processes
- Identify and enhance your organization's donor portfolio and learn to manage current and potential donors
- Enrich your board engagement and learn how to communicate your organization's value proposition while leveraging data
Finding & Keeping Your Donors
- Understand the critical elements of finding and keeping your donors
- Discover best practices for strategic donor recruitment and develop a donor recruitment plan
- Learn strategies for donor retention and utilize new knowledge and tools to develop an innovative donor retention plan
Maximizing Your Development Bandwidth: Donor Segments, Portfolio Moves Management and Staff Supervision
- Learn to use donor data to effectively segment your donor bases
- Understand how to use donor data to establish portfolios for organizational fundraisers and how to best implement moves management for those portfolios
- Explore other systems and strategies for effective staff management, time management and workflow in a successful development office
Next Gen Givers
- Understand trends in generational giving
- Learn strategies to appeal to and engage young philanthropists
Diversifying Your Donor Portfolio
- Explore your organization’s current revenue streams
- Uncover options to diversify your portfolio including: peer-to-peer fundraising, virtual giving, monthly giving program, collaboration/strategic partnerships, other investments
- Learn to employ new methods of fund generation
The WOO (Winning Others Over) Factor: Effectively Communicating Your Organization’s Philanthropic Value Proposition
- Understand the elements of an effective Philanthropic Value Proposition
- Evaluate the strength of your organization’s Philanthropic Value Proposition
- Examine the most current research on how to position your Philanthropic Value Proposition with high-net worth donors
- Workshop your Philanthropic Value Proposition pitch
Liz Livingston Howard is a graduate of Northwestern University and holds an MBA degree from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern. Ms. Howard is the Director of Kellogg's Nonprofit Management Executive Education programs and a Clinical Professor of Management. She developed and teaches...
Elise Madrick Townsend - Academic Director; Senior Program Administrator
Lindsay is a fundraising consultant with more than 15 years of experience working with nonprofit organizations on fundraising and major gifts development, communications, and volunteer management.
Laura Kaufman is the Founder of Partners in Effective Philanthropy. She consults on strategic approaches to "getting" and "giving" funds. Laura Kaufman has 30+ years of experience running foundations and non-profits. Her expertise includes: women's giving, giving circles, major and individual gi...
Brenda assumed the role of President & CEO in February 2014. Since joining The Alford Group over a decade ago, she has assisted clients in taking their organizations to the next level by building their capacity, strengthening their boards, creating donor-centered relationships, and elevating ...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.