About the course
This seminar covers complex aspects of ASC 740 (the FASB standard for accounting for income taxes) by building upon our intermediate level Accounting for Income Taxes. For example, the intermediate seminar only covers acquisitions with no tax-deductible goodwill, while this seminar covers tax-deductible goodwill, section 338 elections, contingent consideration, transaction costs, and measurement period adjustments. We go beyond describing the technical requirements; we explain the rationale and the consequences of these standards and use examples with journal entries. Complex aspects of ASC 740, including the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, are covered.
This seminar assumes mastery of the Accounting for Income Taxes course topics. Please read the descriptions for both to determine which is best suited for you.
- Intraperiod tax allocations: Discontinued operations; other comprehensive income; treatment of dangling OCI items after tax rate changes; items that go directly to paid-in capital
- Unrecognized tax benefits: Accrual of interest, UTBs that result in adjustments to NOLs, interaction with state taxes
- Valuation allowances: Interaction with business combinations, share-based compensation, discrete items, and intraperiod tax allocation
- Interim reporting: Out of period adjustments due to release of valuation allowance, unusual or infrequently occurring items, effect of rate changes
- Business combinations: Acquisitions with tax-deductible goodwill, section 338 elections, contingent consideration, transaction costs, measurement period adjustments
- Share-based payments: 162(m) issues, 83(b) elections, 409A issues, disqualifying dispositions, acquired share-based compensation
- Outside basis differences: Indefinite reinvestment assertions, foreign branches, pass-through entities
- Foreign currency matters: Remeasurements, translations
- Intra-entity asset transfers: Change in basis
- Intercorporate tax allocations: Separate-return method versus benefit-for-loss method
Dan is the founder of Almaris Consulting and Training. He brings in 25 years of extensive experience in consulting and training in accounting, financial statement analysis, business drivers, modeling. valuation, and credit risk analysis. He has worked with over numerous corporations, investment b...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.