Who should attend
Students from all educational backgrounds welcome.
About the course
Explore the steps in the construction process from the award to close-out. Topics in this course will include scope of work, bidding, start up, control system requirements, role of consultants and organizational structure. Other topics include contractors safety program, work changes and preventing delays.
Course at a glance
- Recognized by CIQS, Gold Seal, and Blue Seal both as required education for accreditation and continuing professional development (post-accreditation maintenance).
- Aimed at a wide range of construction workers, including tradesmen and journeymen, managers and supervisors, administrators, contractors, consultants, architects, and construction business owners.
- Comprehensive content that covers topics such as project management, scheduling, budgeting, safety, change orders, and contract applications.
- Learning materials available through eClass, the University of Alberta’s eLearning management tool.
- While there are no prerequisites for this course, prior knowledge of construction project management is recommended for student success.
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Describe the development of the construction process with an emphasis on administrative control procedures, from award of contract to close-out.
- Relate the bidding, award, and start-up processes with subsequent construction.
- Identify the elements of an organization; identify the roles and responsibilities of the owner, consultant, and contractor.
- Understand how to effectively execute the implementation of a project with a focused emphasis on completing the project assignment on time, within budget, with quality, and in a safe manner.
- Assessment will include a mid-term and a final exam; there are no post-course work requirements.
- For students pursuing the Construction Management and Administration certificate, this course is recommended as the last core requirement to be fulfilled.
Education PhD, University of California at Berkeley MBA, University of California at Berkeley MS, California Institute of Technology BS, Cornell University Background Perry's interests are in the areas of corporate financial management, financial markets and financial institutions. He is a recip...
Read more about Project management
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.