Adaptive Communication: Thinking on Your Feet
The tools of improvisation don’t just exist for stage performers: they are equally essential in managerial contexts. The dynamic business environment requires leaders to observe what is happening in the moment, adapt on a dime, and create with whatever is at hand—precisely the same skills used by professional performers.
In this workshop you will learn the tools of effective improvisation, and integrate them into your managerial skill set. Develop a confident, “ready for anything” mindset that helps you find the right action in the moment. Adapt rapidly to changing circumstances. Create innovative ideas on the fly. Communicate compelling narratives, and collaborate constructively with others.
- Get out of our own head, and be present in the moment
- Respond rapidly and appropriately in dynamic situations
- Open up pathways for creativity and innovation
- Get the most from your environment through active listening
- Think on your feet in meetings or when answering unexpected questions
- Collaborate with others for truly shared projects
- Connect with people through storytelling
- Pathways to creativity: connecting with your spontaneity, being creative within the rules
- Building team cohesion: fostering respect, developing a group mindset, playing by the same rules, adapting to change while leading and following, learning to build together, listening for silences and finding the right moment to jump in
- Creative collaboration: creative problem solving, making use of bad ideas, shaping ideas through active listening, bringing creative minds together
- Presence and power dynamic: warming up and owning the room, power dynamics of physical presence and communications, observing and challenging power dynamics
- Storytelling as compelling communication: narrative structures and their functions, becoming inspired to tell a great story, constraint as a springboard to creativity, using storytelling to keep audiences engaged, storytelling with a live audience
This course features interactive, high-engagement exercises. You will practice improvisational and storytelling skills in a safe, supportive setting designed to promote your personal and professional growth.
Who should attend
This course is for anyone interested in learning new paths to creativity, effective team building and communicating constructively in the moment.