Who should attend
Executives who make or contribute to decisions with significant financial implications, including:
- Managers with profit and loss responsibility
- Managers in marketing, operations, human resources and engineering
A background in finance and accounting is not required.
About the course
Know what your finance manager presents to you.
Increasingly, managers in every functional area need to understand the basic principles of accounting and ﬁnance in order to make informed business decisions.
This practical programme is designed to demystify financial jargon and concepts for non-finance managers. In five days, you will learn how to interpret financial statements and apply that information into your business. At the end of the course, you will be able to speak the same language as your finance colleagues, understand performance metrics, read and use company reports, and grasp other managerial accounting issues.
- Master fundamental financial terminology and concepts
- Learn to read balance sheets, income statements and cash flow statements
- Learn to evaluate corporate investments
- Learn to perform fundamental financial analysis
- Discover best practices in working capital management
- Develop the financial acumen to make effective business decisions and work with finance managers
Appraising corporate investments
- Internal rate of return (IRR)
- Net present value (NPV)
- Balance sheet models
- P/E ratios
- Secured and unsecured loans
- Trade credit
Understanding and interpreting financial statements
- Accounting for key financial statement items
- Common misconceptions
- Creative accounting
- Ratio analysis
A/P Ruth Tan has been serving on the Teaching Excellence Council (TEC), NUS Business School from 2013. Presently, she is the Chairperson of TEC. She teaches undergraduate and graduate students, as well as business executives. She is the co-overall supervising professor for the Enterprise 50 Field...
Chee Kiong is the Vice Dean of Undergraduate Studies at NUS Business School and was formerly the Deputy Head of its Department of Accounting. He is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Singapore (ICPAS) and a Fellow of CPA Australia. Chee Kiong ...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.