Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
- Professionals with exposure to financial reports, statements and balance sheets, or people in finance roles from any industry, with a need to develop expertise in interpreting financial statements.
- Participants include analysts, lawyers, financial planners and advisors, risk managers and board members.
About the course
Deconstruct return on capital to reveal the economics of the business, and the drivers of return and value.
Use financial analysis to understand your business
Gain the skills and knowledge to measure a company's profitability, assess its strengths and weaknesses and understand the main drivers of value.
Benefits for you
- Improve your skills, confidence and knowledge and analyse rigorous financial techniques with practical relevance.
- Become an expert user of financial statements. Put what you learn into practice looking at real and up-to-date company data and case studies.
- Explore the current business landscape. Gain an in-depth understanding of accounting tools and advanced-level economic analysis.
- Understand variations in accounting practice, and learn to control for this when comparing firms.
- Examine major governance and regulatory issues.
Benefits for your organisation
- Develop managers with confidence and skill in employing financial analysis techniques.
- Develop capability in your organisation to understand the economic drivers for performance, and assess competitors.
What you learn
- Analyse the income statement and balance sheet. Examine key financial concepts such as economic profit, EBIT, capital, equity, leverage and GAAP standards.
- Develop your understanding of assets and liabilities, and how M&A impacts your financial statements.
- Understand the nature of income, including measurement strategies, analysis of cashflow and prediction of financial distress.
- Gain skills in financial modelling. Forecast and strategise for the future of your business by projecting its financial statements.
- Learn how companies are evolving their balance sheet models in pursuit of economic value.
How you learn
- Focus on performance analysis. Explore and present on real-world case studies, applying key concepts to real businesses.
- Interact with expert finance tutors and benefit from their guidance on group work and projects.
- Share different perspectives and tap into a diverse network of peers.
Your learning experience
- Build your knowledge base and leverage global networks in London, a commercially-driven and vibrant business and finance capital.
- Learn from dynamic subject expert Dr Chris Higson, advisor to some of the world’s leading companies.
Dr Chris Higson has worked at London Business School since 1986. He was Chair of the Accounting faculty from 1994 to 2000 and is currently an Associate Professor of Accounting Practice. His areas of expertise are in financial statements, financial performance and valuation, taxation, governance a...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.